Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Insufficient resources without changing anything?

I'm working on a dual G5 (2.5GHz/6.5GB DDR Sdram), OS10.4.5, PT 7.1cs6, HD3XL with a waves APA42 unit. I jumped through all the tech support hoops, but I'm still pretty greenhorned to 7.1.

I'll start a mostly ITB mix, finish for the night, shut down and reopen the session the next day. Problem is (and I've run into it on almost every session I've worked on), I get an "insufficient system resources" error when I try to reopen (same system, same everything) and am missing up to 20(!) different plug in's in some instances. Sometimes when I open these sessions, the meters are pegged and I cannot do anything (playback, etc) so I'll quit Pro Tools, at which point it unexpectedly quits and asks me if I want to submit an error report to apple, which I usually fight to urge to type every curse word that comes to mind. Usually...

I suspect the Waves unit has something to do with it. Perhaps PT is allocating my pro tools dsp toward the Waves plug in's that were supposed to be allocated to the waves dsp unit? Anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix (not a workaround)? I never thought I'd see a day that DAW recalls would be worse than studio motel recalls. How could I have lost processing that I obviously had at some point?

Did I miss something? (besides DSP)
Old 05-06-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Insufficient resources without changing anything?

No one? Any guesses? Has anyone else run into this? Has anyone never run into this?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Hi e-cue,

It sounds like you have plenty of Processing Power so you should be getting excellent results with your system. I don't really have any suggestions for you... Except just keep your Computer system as Lean and Mean as possible. No third party 'bells and whistles". For those of us who don't know. What is a waves APA42 ?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM

I just saw this for the first time opening a session that I had already mixed on this same rig, next upon importing a bunch of tracks that did not have any plug ins on them, which should not have given me this error. Then I saw it again upon importing a track with 5 plugins on them, 3 of which were the Waves Mastering bundle. I had not seen this before, and it should not have done it on any of these instances, and it gave me the error three times in one day. hmmm

here's my setup. PT 7.0, HD3 Accel (one core, 1 HD Process, 1 Accel), Dual 2.0 G5, OS 10.4.3
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53 PM

I can report behavior very similar to what c-tone experienced.

Just today, I opened some “old” sessions (2 years-old; PT6.1?) and got the same error message. This on a system running flawlessly for 18 hours-a-day.

a) In some instances, the error alert was in error itself—in other words, everything was fine.

b) A few times, a Waves Masters plug was disabled, in seemingly random fashion.

c) A few times, there was a disabled track on the session (disabled back then, that is), but no anomaly whatsoever. Every single one of these sessions featured one or more instantiations of various Waves Master plugs.

d) Importing a track from one of these sessions also triggered the error message, with a variety of results as listed above, in points a) through c).

I am also to say that all of the above just slowed me down temporarily—none of it actually stopped me from doing exactly what I wanted and needed to do.

Avert your eyes, Billy—I see a fast-approaching…

Sarcastic Detour Alert

Odd.

Not to worry… armies of Waves software engineers are laboring to “keep things compatible.” Don’t you know?

A fix will be available any day now—just like we finally got support for the meter clipping features introduced with PT 6.4. What? We didn’t get that? Really? Oh well, that’s OK—I’m sure the hard-earned WUP-ASS loot is being put to good use. I can feel it. Can’t you feel it?

End Of Sarcastic Detour

OK, Billy, it’s safe again.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 AM

same thing here but it is very intermitent and not with waves mastering plug.....pt7.1cs6 hd3accel g5dual2.os10.4.6 all kinds of plugin problems .
Old 05-08-2006, 05:34 AM

One of the really sucky things about this is that there's no real 100% workaround. What has worked time to time is creating a new session and importing everything. Sometimes it imports everything fine, most of the time not (usually at higher sampling rates). What sucks is when I'm running a bunch of auxes and can't really just audiosuite the tracks I'm processing. Also when I mix, I'll commonly disable plug in's so if I open the problem session and it disables some, things can get hairy when I'm trying to make the problem session work from within itself. But like I said, most of the time the meters peg and pro tools is useless.

When you constantly have to think about stuff like this, it's not mixing. Hell, it's not even vocal comping.()

CS7 anyone?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Hi e-cue,

It sounds like you have plenty of Processing Power so you should be getting excellent results with your system. I don't really have any suggestions for you... Except just keep your Computer system as Lean and Mean as possible. No third party 'bells and whistles". For those of us who don't know. What is a waves APA42 ?
Yeah, I definately don't have any cutesey stuff on this system. Pro Tools is the only program running.

The Waves APA is their external processing dsp unit.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Avid

Have you verified that all installed plug-ins are Pro Tools 7 compatible? If you have incompatible plug-ins in a session, you can see this kind of behavior.

We're working on a plug-in compatibility list with version numbers, but until that is done, you should verify that you have the latest version of every plug-in and check that the manufacturer shows it's compatible with Pro Tools 7. If it's not or even if it's in question, pull it from your plug-ins folder, trash preferences, restart and try everything again.

I had this same scenario with a customer last week - he updated his plug-ins and all was well again.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Have you verified that all installed plug-ins are Pro Tools 7 compatible?
For the record, this happens under PT 6.9 also, with all plugs being up-to-date.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)