Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM

Default A Plea to AVID!! Please Give LE more TDM Features!!!!!

I have been an Avid (pun intended) Protools user for about 15 years. I have installed Three TDM systems (numerous software and hardware upgrades) and multiple LE systems at the studios where I work and I really love the software.

Lately the lines are getting blurred a bit between the "Pro" studio and the "Project" studio. When I go home to work in my project studio I desperately miss many of the TDM features on my LE system as I am sure many of you do. These are simple, software unlocks that AVID could allow us to purchase and I am getting so tired of waiting. Listening to my DP, Logic, and Nuendo Brethren boast of the same feature sets on their native systems.

Come On!!!! Please give us an option!!! I can't afford a TDM system for my home studio, and I don't need one. I just need some key TDM features to vastly improve my speed at home. Here they are, AGAIN.

-import session data options
-ADC (DUH)
-expanded automation modes and options (Trim!!!!!)
-I know timecode is in the Post bundle, but come on!! It's timecode, everybody's got it.

These are simple requests and I and many others would be happy to pay for them even though I believe that they should be free, especially with the purchase of a premium LE interface such as the 003. (Which I just happen to own)

Protools users unite!! Please post your TDM to LE requests here.

Thanks,

Chad Evans
iMac 27"
3.4 GHZ 8 Core i7
8 gigs of ram
003 Factory

Chad Evans
Chief Engineer
Gaither Studios
Owner/Operator Big Mix Productions
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Re: A Plea to AVID!! Please Give LE more TDM Features!!!!!

If they did that, how could one say, "I've arrived."
Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
If they did that, how could one say, "I've arrived."
you know it when you get that first big check

now im no business genius, but it would seem to me that if they "level the field" and have one software version with scalable hardware configurations, from just a card to run your mix engine and RTAS only, all the way up to however many IOs/tracks/and TDM plugs you need that it would be a much "smarter" business model. One software version, all the same features. Hell, keep on with the toolkit bundles model - there's a bunch of stuff in those i *dont* need

Easier for them to support, which would probably mean a better user experience, and logically it could be expected that native sales would be roughly hd sales + le sales.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstool719 View Post
you know it when you get that first big check
Don't confuse merit with appearances.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 PM

With the complete production toolkit I barely notice any difference between LE and HD working in Post Production, other than HD has a bunch of crap that I would never ever need.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
With the complete production toolkit I barely notice any difference between LE and HD working in Post Production, other than HD has a bunch of crap that I would never ever need.
No disrespect Slim....and I figure if anyone knows the differences between LE with the CPTK and HD it would be you. But really, $2000 is a ridiculously huge price to pay for stuff almost every other DAW comes stock with.....and still no ADC. In my particular case I already have Smack LE and DINR LE so at least....at Avid Store plug in prices......$900 of the $2000 would be for stuff I do not need......it is very frustrating.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.evans View Post
I just need some key TDM features to vastly improve my speed at home. Here they are, AGAIN.

-import session data options
-ADC (DUH)
-expanded automation modes and options (Trim!!!!!)
-I know timecode is in the Post bundle, but come on!! It's timecode, everybody's got it.
Import session data would be awesome! The LE version of that is almost useless.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Here's an idea. Next time you're mixing for a client give them a finished mix for your demo mix rate. See how long it takes them to ask, expect and only pay for a demo rate mix. Everyone wants caviar but wants to pay for chips and salsa.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdrumr View Post
Here's an idea. Next time you're mixing for a client give them a finished mix for your demo mix rate. See how long it takes them to ask, expect and only pay for a demo rate mix. Everyone wants caviar but wants to pay for chips and salsa.
That's about right.

These threads have existed for sooooo long. LE will get some features, like ADC... but there will always be HD and LE. Or at least a high end version and a lite version. Been that way for over a decade. Almost every other DAW has different versions, too, with different features that you have to PAY for. Avid does it differently because there is hardware involved. While the hardware is oldschool right now... it's gonna change real soon and the playing field will level out again.

A tip?

Stop trying to be cheaper than your neighbour. Would you rather charge $20 an hour and have to work 3 times as hard/long to make what the next guy does who charges $60 an hour?

Recording prices are getting ridiculously cheap these days... while we still have a bottom line to keep. I actually raised my prices since I moved on from my last studio, and have kept the same amount of business, including clients that followed me. People will pay for quality and service. Plus... people start thinking of you differently. "How come this guy charges $50/hour when that guy charges $30, and still gets the same amount of business? Must be worth it!"

Imagine what it cost to track 48 channels 30 years ago...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdrumr View Post
Everyone wants caviar but wants to pay for chips and salsa.
But the caviar is really in the hardware isn't it? Clearly a system like a high end HD where it is doing the audio processing outside of the computer....and a big gnarly mixing desk, killer converters etc in a fully tuned and treated room...on and on....... this is going to blow a 003 mixing ITB in a tiny home studio...bedroom..... right out the water.

But why can't PT LE software have more of the features everyone is asking for, that most other DAW platforms have.....as standard fair for everyone?

Just the software......timecode, ADC, surround capability, etc.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)