Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Add/ Remove Programs will not Remove Pro Tools

This is weird,

I want to do a fresh install of PT, but when I use "Add / Remove" programs in WIN XP, PT still populates in the list after several attemps to remove it. What's more, the file size continues to grow with each successive attempt at removing it! I'm up to 2.25GB!

I have removed every folder, and every other instance of PT but it just will not go away. So, when I try to reinstall PT, I cannot do an install. I get the "Modify, REpair or Remove" dialogue.

HELP!!!!!!

Joel
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 09-07-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Add/ Remove Programs will not Remove Pro Tools

Sounds like your registry is corrupt -- Make a Ghost image of your boot drive then try manually searching with RegEdit for anything related to Digidesign and delete it. Delete the Common\Digidesign folder and the Digidesign folder -- search for the file dalwdm.sys and delete all instances.

Reboot and reinstall Pro Tools.

You could use tools like PC Rescue or RegSeeker to clean up your registry.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-07-2005, 02:34 PM

You should be able to get rid of the Pro Tools entry from the Add/Remove Programs list by manually editing the registry like Rail suggested. Once this has been done you should be able to start a fresh install.

The specific key you need to get rid of can be found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

you need to find the key for Pro Tools. The 6.9 key is {8854A2DB-FE59-4352-85A2-2B0411B2CF6C} but it will be different for older versions. You can look at the "Display Name" value on the right hand side of regedit to find the proper key (it will say "Digidesign Pro Tools LE" for a Display name value). Once you have located the key, delete it. Reboot the computer and Pro Tools should no longer be in the add/remove programs list and you should be able to reinstall.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Absolutely Brilliant.

I think I have it knocked out!

Cheers mates!

~ J
www.readyacoustics.com