Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 04:49 PM

Default Recording in PT- Mixing in SSL

Having a TDM mix system i always record in PT and mix in SSL.During the process of the production i do all my audio recordings having my midi (cubase 32)tracks synchronized to PT via IAC and OMS.Before going to SSL room i record all these midi tracks to PT and here is the problem.After the recording,they play back with a delay.I always shift them manually.Is a specific offset in ms i could use for all of them or something is wrong in the chain? Appreciate your responses.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Recording in PT- Mixing in SSL

Hi I don't have any info about your current problem but it sounds like you can help me. I have a producer I work with who does all his work in cubase and I want to have an easy way of bringing all of his work into pro tools to mix at an ssl studio. How do you do this?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 07:50 PM

It's easy. I don't use cubase but I do sequence in logic and DP3 but as long as cubase uses wav or aiff as its audio file type, it's fairly simple to track your song into PT. I just buss all of my sound modules back into Logic or DP3 audio tracks and record them all starting from the same place each pass. Then you can simply import the wav or aiff files into PT.

L-Fire
EMO
Old 03-11-2003, 05:18 AM

There is a delay inherent in all midi devices, even if you can't hear it. There may be several places where delay is beig introduced. It is not a bug or a mistake. The best way to figure out the real delay from midi trigger to record input is like this:

Set up a session with the normal routing you would do. Trigger a snare or other clean percusion instrument at bar 10, beat 1. Zoom in and see how far from bar 10 beat 1 the sound is being recorded. You may need to zoom in pretty far. Select the space and switch to minutes/seconds display. The number selected in the space is your delay in milliseconds