Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Default How can I see a EQ wave form while I EQ

I just want to see a EQ wave form while I EQ to get a better look at things
is this possible. Will the wave form move. If at all possible can it overlap the actual EQ plug this would be vey useful
to me and possibly others. Please school me Im new
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Re: How can I see a EQ wave form while I EQ

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. The stock digi EQ plugins are parametric EQ's that have a graphical representation of the frequency range and how you are affecting it. If you are asking for a realtime plugin that shows changes to the recorded waveform that shows in Pro Tools' edit window...I'm not sure if I've heard of an EQ plugin doing that (I'm sure someone else could chime in if one exists.)

You could put a spectrum analyzer plugin on the channel after the EQ and watch your changes in realtime on that. You can even find some good ones for free if you search the internet. One of my favorites is actually a VST plug that I use in PT with FXpansions VST-RTAS wrapper. If you really wanted to see the waveform change in Pro Tools from your EQ changes you could also print the audio to new track...but you couldn't really see your changes in realtime that way.

As a side note though, a lot of engineers feel that "watching" what you're changing with EQ and dynamics can sometimes not be as musical to your mix. That's one of the reasons why a lot of us purchase a controller (like a C24) to work Pro Tools like a console so you "hear" what you're doing more than "watching" it.

Anyways...hope that helps!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM

Yes, EQ with your EARS not your EYES! :)
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Cool Re: How can I see a EQ wave form while I EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal92 View Post
Yes, EQ with your EARS not your EYES! :)
+1. Just listen, and tweak.

- Eric
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Although I agree that EQing with your ears is better, I definitely see where an analyzer on the EQ is helpful. The OP is probably a Logic user and is use to the Analyzer built into the stock EQ of Logic.

In any case, you can always put a spectrum analyzer plug-in as the next plug-in on the track or purchase an EQ such as: FabFilter Pro-Q or izotope Alloy/Ozone.

Having an analyzer can help in situations where you can hear a frequency popping out but your not completely sure where it is to tweak properly. It can also help in cases where you know your monitoring situation is less than perfect.

When I started mixing, I found frequency analyzer plug-ins very helpful in making sure my overall mix was relatively flat. Over the years, I rely on the analyzers less and less, but I will always at least check it once on the overall mix before I send off a mix.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Waves has the PAZ plugins for that...Put it after your eq plugin
Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Equality has a built in analyzer that is post eq.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Im not that new of coarse listen with your ears obviously that is not what I ment . I want to see a EQ wave to see If Im missing or adding to much to a particular frequency. I like to record with EQ . Alot of people say dont record with EQ but once you record a crap sound its nearly impossible to EQ it well
So I use EQ before I record. Do you think Mutt lang Ed Kramer would record something with out EQing the best sound possible before they record I highly doubt it. To all you peolpe who will rag on me for this I say have lots of fun trying to EQ those crappy sounds you think are good enough
Of coarse all that goes out the window if your actually using supper high end ruler flat gear but even still. I believe you can make good sound great but you cant make crap smell good
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM

What am I missing here? If you can EQ that "crappy" sound when you are recording why can't you instead EQ the same "crappy"sound on the way out when mixing (even if you have to use two stages of EQ)?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM

If you don't record a certain frequency, then you can't boost it or cut everything else to make it bigger later. If the frequency is not there, it's just not there.

Having said all that, hearing is better than seeing.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .