Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Default New - East West Pro Drummer

Looks like East West are getting into the the multitrack drum sample arena.

http://www.soundsonline.com/prodrummer

Could be interesting.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:33 AM

Default Re: New - East West Pro Drummer

At basic level it sounds like a direct challenger to Slate. I still prefer BFD over Slate for versatility but jees the BFD 3 GUI is just plain awful.

A few things for sure though, being EastWest it'll be a) really good quality b) reasonably pricey and c) no hands on demo (which is probably a deal breaker depending on the price point).

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Looks like East West are getting into the the multitrack drum sample arena.

http://www.soundsonline.com/prodrummer

Could be interesting.
Just went into beta about two months ago; was asked if I wanted to be a beta tester and declined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
At basic level it sounds like a direct challenger to Slate. I still prefer BFD over Slate for versatility but jees the BFD 3 GUI is just plain awful.

A few things for sure though, being EastWest it'll be a) really good quality b) reasonably pricey and c) no hands on demo (which is probably a deal breaker depending on the price point).
Agreed on the BFD3 gui - ugly and then some. I loved the BFD2 gui with the kit view and now this - no thanks. And people are still having issues on downloading it and installs. Sure you can buy a flash drive from fxpansion with the library and programs on it but the installer is still an issue for many.

And agreed on EW being pricey. They never have hands-on demos of their product and for new stuff it's never at a cut rate price until way down the road. Buy it in a bundle and you're still paying full price. Gorgeous sound on most of their stuff. They do have pretty guis though (long time EW user going back to the Kontakt engine days).

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 AM

That's a category already crowded with excellent options. One of the most solid of all plugin types. What will be different about this? Many people have sworn off of EW plugins forever so, for some, this software has a steep uphill battle.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's a category already crowded with excellent options. One of the most solid of all plugin types. What will be different about this? Many people have sworn off of EW plugins forever so, for some, this software has a steep uphill battle.
If this is like any of their other plugins, one of the things that will be lacking is flexibility in output routings and bussing. It's part of the problem with the current Play engine and possibly won't be fixed until the long awaited Play Pro is released probably at the end of 2015. I say probably because Play Pro was first announced by Doug Rogers back in 2009 and he says he may have it out by the end of this year. These people take vaporware to a whole 'nother level than Slate The Play engine is a lot less flexible and has a lot less options than the Kontakt engine or any other sound engine developers use.

And this is just one hurdle they'll have to overcome if they want to play in this crowded field.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM

I hear ya. I've spent so much money on EW products that I can't even see straight, but they're so awful that I've essentially just abandoned them and I'm so happy to be free from the headaches that I simply don't care about having lost so much money along the way.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I hear ya. I've spent so much money on EW products that I can't even see straight, but they're so awful that I've essentially just abandoned them and I'm so happy to be free from the headaches that I simply don't care about having lost so much money along the way.
Yeah. The sample engine is just problematic. Every time I try to use it again, it pops, ticks crashes. Just ends up being too much of a headache to deal with.
Seriously just stops the creative flow anymore.

Slate drums or Superior. Trigger for replacement. Or Kontakt libraries have been great too.

LEX
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables