How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Cannot Connect V-Drums to Pro Tools

Hello all,

Having a bit of an issue connecting my Roland V-Drums (TD-4) to Pro Tools. I've been researching it, and everyone says it is as easy as connecting the MIDI cable to the Digi 003 Rack, setting an instrument track, setting that to MIDI All, and to start recording. The issue with that is that there is no "MIDI All" setting that comes up in the I/O settings. It only shows the normal Audio, ADAT, and Spidif inputs. I also read somewhere that there is a MIDI enable thing you have to do when you install Pro Tools that may not have been done, but I wanted to confirm that before I tried re-installing the program.

I've also tried creating a MIDI track, but my only input choices are "All" and "BFD2 1 (out)" The output of the MIDI track can go to BDF2, but if I select that, the MIDI input changes to All automatically.

I've also tried mapping through MIDI studio, but it does not let me select a MIDI port for import. I am VERY new at using MIDI, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting really frustrated trying to get this going. I am running the latest version of Pro Tools, too, if that helps.

Oh, and I have been able to use my Axiom 25 to record MIDI data, but that is plugged in through the USB port of my computer, not the MIDI port.

I also see the MIDI in light on my 003 blink when hitting the drums, but for some reason, I can't get that MIDI data out to a track.

Basically, I am trying to use my V-Drums to record drum data, and then plan on using BFD 2 to get better drum sounds for my final mix.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Rob
Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Cannot Connect V-Drums to Pro Tools

The ALL setting is for midi input (not audio INPUT) and by default, that does not show. If you click on VIEW>Mix Window Shows>select Instrument(I think, not at my machine right now). Anyway, when you hit the right thing, your MIX window will have a new set of things show up at the top of each strip.

What works for me is running my TD10 midi out, into the 003 midi IN. Create a STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert ezdrummer(or drum VI of choice) in the very top insert slot(must use the first slot). At this point, banging on the pads SHOULD cause you to hear the VI drums.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 AM

In theory that should work, but still got nothing. In another session I am using, I set the MIDI input to "USB Axiom 25" and the track will take the MIDI Information in. When I set up a MIDI track for my V-Drums, the V-Drums aren't even an option. Same with an Instrument Track. It seems that Pro Tools isn't even recognizing the V-Drums, even though there is light on the MIDI In on the front of my 003 when I hit the drums. The 003 is receiving a MIDI signal, but I can't get that to a track.

In the session I am working in, if I set up a MIDI track, my MIDI In options are "All" or "BFD 2 (Out)". Shouldn't there be an option for the V-Drums?

If I set up an Instrument Track, my inputs are the normal Interface (Analog 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8) (ADAT 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8) and (Plug In BFD 2 - though it is greyed out).

So I guess the big problem is that it is not giving me the V-Drums as an input into Pro Tools. How do I get Pro Tools to recognize the V-Drums?

R
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The ALL setting is for midi input (not audio INPUT) and by default, that does not show. If you click on VIEW>Mix Window Shows>select Instrument(I think, not at my machine right now). Anyway, when you hit the right thing, your MIX window will have a new set of things show up at the top of each strip.

What works for me is running my TD10 midi out, into the 003 midi IN. Create a STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert ezdrummer(or drum VI of choice) in the very top insert slot(must use the first slot). At this point, banging on the pads SHOULD cause you to hear the VI drums.
Albee,

Along this same thought...

Will PT's 8 read the Roland kit as General MIDI data. and assign each drum/cymbal to a midi line?...I've got the TD20.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM

have you tried midi channel 10. sorry didn't read through the whole post
Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Actually I was having an issue because of my Axiom 25. I uninstalled Pro Tools and the M-Audio drivers, and then reinstalled Pro Tools. Now I can get the MIDI ports in and out. My only question now is if I should use the MIDI cables for my Axiom now, or if I can install the drivers and use both the MIDI ports and the Axiom USB MIDI.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 PM

You should be able to use midi thru usb & the midi ports at the same time.

I use a midisport 4x4 for TD-4'S, Yamaha keyboard, and a DR670 , while using the midi port on my 003 for a radium 49 all at the same time.