Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Default import OMF & maintain original timecode

Over the years, I've read and reread up on Time Code... I understand some things about it, but it's taking a while to understand it's implications fully

I'll try to keep my question short though

My friend is editing a video in final cut pro at 23.98 fps

She then outputs an OMF

I import the OMF, and I think I'm keeping it at 23.98 fps... In the import window ("Import Session Data") under source properties, it says the Time Code Format is 23.98

I import it, but when I go to Session Setup, it says Time Code 30 fps

What's going on? Did I convert it to 30 fps? How did I do that? How do I keep it at 23.98 fps?

Or is 30 fps just PT's internal handling of the Time Code? But I need to give it back to her at 23.98... how do I do that?

I guess part of my question is, what happens if I now change it to 23.98fps (from the 30 fps it says it is in the session setup)?

Please enlighten

Thank you for your time

Sincerely,
Pietro
Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Re: import OMF & maintain original timecode

I just remembered, Time Code is just naming scheme, right? It doesn't change the length of anything... so in the digital realm, going between programs, there shouldn't be any problems, right? I mean, if my friend gives me 23.98 fps, and I'm reading it as 30 fps, work on it and give it back, and she imports it back to Final Cut Pro, and reads it at 23.98... will there be any time distortion? If we're both using internal clocks?

Maybe I'm way off...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM

Are you doing this on LE or HD?
Do you have Digitranslator or how are you opening the OMF?

Time Code is not just a naming scheme, changing TC rates can have profound implications on sync.

You will probably get more knowledgeable responses in the Post and Surround section than the general LE section.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 PM

using digitranslator and LE

"Time Code is not just a naming scheme, changing TC rates can have profound implications on sync."

I mean if I am using a certain FPS and do my work then bounce it down to a stereo file that's 3 mins 16 secs, and she then puts that 3 mins 16 secs into a Final Cut Pro project that's using a different FPS... isn't it still 3 mins 16 secs?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 AM

As far as I remember;
The timecode rate as set in session setup simply provides a timecode ruler in the edit window at the set frame rate if you are on internal sync.
The exception is when your system is connected to a Universal Slave Driver (USD) or SMPTE Slave Driver (SSD) (for example) for external sync.
In this case the session timecode rate will vary according to the USD or SSD.
Even then you can change the timecode ruler value but not the rate of the session.
Forget about the session setup window timecode rate.
When you import the supplied video file into your session look at the timecode rate under the name of the video file (you must be viewing the track as medium or larger).
This should read 23.98 (if the numbers are red then there is an incompatibility between the actual frame rate and the ruler rate in the video file - check your video file has been exported with an appropriate codec etc.).
If your OMF is perfectly frame accurate to this video file (head pop to tail pop) then you are in sync (assuming the OMF and video are exported correctly - possibly outside your control).
Make sure the PT timecode ruler matches this frame rate so when you export the final mix the timecode rate will remain as metadata in the final mix audio files.
I'm sure others will have an opinion also.
Good Luck.