Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Default LE vs HD, Win vs Mac

From my own totally non-scientific study of the DUC frontpage:

PTHD Mac forum: 138 viewing
PTHD Win forum: 11 viewing
PTLE Mac forum: 154 viewing
PTLE Win forum: 171 viewing

An indicator of system stability (in whick case HD Win for me!!) or merely a reflection of usage patterns??? (Interesting stat for the 'mac is better' fanboys either way that they're on here as much as the windoze users)

Discuss.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Re: LE vs HD, Win vs Mac

Viewing counts really don't represent anything, just how many of us have too little work at any given time(or are simply addicted to the DUC). My personal observation/research shows that LE is slightly better on a PC, while HD is slightly better on a Mac. In any case, the forum shows that both platforms offer plenty of power AND plenty of troubles. More reading will show that there are several folks that are finding LE with a newer quad or 8 core computer yields enough power that HD is considered a step backwards! (depending on your IO needs)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

All that Albee said, and that this is likely related in some way to sales numbers. However the way systems are used and the demands placed on them plays a role. The studios that I work in that have HD7/Mac with PT 7.3.1 running as a multitrack into an SSL seem to be pretty darn solid. If you've got an extra Quarter Million in your budget, I recommend this approach. Although even this is becoming close to facing obsolescence.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM

I would say usage patterns. Some folks probably never have problems and never come to the DUC.

It's fairly easy to draw the conclusion that there are twice as many LE users. Its probably safe to assume there are more Windows LE users. Or they just could be experiencing more problems. Or half as many MAC LE user having twice as many problems. You can't read a whole lot into the usage figures. What about me? I'm not signed into any forum and own both platforms.

All it really means is there are

PTHD Mac forum: 138 viewing
PTHD Win forum: 11 viewing
PTLE Mac forum: 154 viewing
PTLE Win forum: 171 viewing

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM

I can't find an augment for this without inventing stuff.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-12-2010, 05:11 AM

I Currently work at a computer repair shop.. and people ask ALL the time.. which Windows PC is better... The answer... Everything has problems... It doesn't matter what the brand. We see some brands more then others... but its because of there volume in sales. Most of them use the same hardware(except eMachine, Acer and Gateway.. which are the same company now).

Laptops... The HD WILL go bad, your power jack probably will get trashed if you let your kids use it or you have animals/children.

Desktops... You PSU or Mobo WILL go bad if you never vacuum out your tower, Your HD will go bad eventually.

That being said... the reason we only see 11 people in the PT HD forums is probably because that is the correct percentage of people that use it.

You want to do a study? try to figure out the % of people that own PT HD/LE on windows or Mac and see what percentage the Viewers is of ownership.

P.S. I did a statistics study on my stores repairs and it was between User error and Hardware error... 70% of the issues we were fixing were User error and 30% were hardware errors.. over the course of 6 months.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post

...70% of the issues we were fixing were User error and 30% were hardware errors.. over the course of 6 months.
How many errors may be conceptual errors caused by
- poor programing
- misjudgment of the market
- misjudgment of consumer needs (poor concepts lead to user errors, apart from some people that have attention volatile idiocy dropouts)
- only having the costs in focus

Do companies ever learn that profit is the result of a good product or service?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 AM

In my former career, part of my responsibilities at one time included managing an IT group that ran a 500 PC network. I can tell you that JonnyGinese is right about user error being responsible for 70% of the issues (this might even be a little low).

However, every now and then bad hardware is the culprit, and big time. For instance, the company I worked for had a deal with D*ll and we bought all of our PC's from them. Our PC changeout cycle was 3 to 4 years. Following one changeout of 500 PC's we started getting a lot of hard drive failures on the desktops. Sure enough, the manufacturer fessed up about the inferior hard drives and we ended up replacing all of the hard drives. In another instance, most of the laptop batteries were getting really hot and failing so we had a wholesale changeout of laptop batteries (this was both a reliability and safety issue).

4/5 of the computers were desktops, the rest were laptops.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Moral to the story is forum count doesn't mean much...

As said, there are probably just as or more that have PT that don't visit &/or post on forums; Its actually a Hobby for a lot of me|us

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Also remember that most people only post on a forum if/when they have problems.

QAPLA!