Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Re: new frontpanel on digi 192

well, i kinda like what they did to it :)
Old 05-22-2014, 03:09 PM

A better idea would be to sell your 192, and buy an HD I/O. Then, your interface would look and SOUND better!!

We were pretty surprised when we upgraded our 192's to IO's. The sound is much better.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

are they really that good?

cause i was actually wondering if i should swap my 192 for a REDnet ?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO:SOUND View Post
this has nothing to do woth counterfeiting! this is just me, wanting to "tweak" my 192 with a new frontpanel, because i think the new design is very cool.
I should have looked at your location.

Most here in the states would have immediately known it was a joke.

Sorry 'bout that...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM

no problem it all just came down to the looks. nothing more :)
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
are they really that good?

cause i was actually wondering if i should swap my 192 for a REDnet ?
Well blind listening test have placed them with some of the best and more pricier out there. They sound better than the 192 for sure. And even if you go with the rednet, you'll need to get 2 boxes (if you stay at 8 mic preamps) with the red net to fill the job that the one box of the HD I/O does. 1 rednet 4 preamps (which do sound good, 2500$) and 1 rednet 5 box (1500$) to connect to your HD/HDX card for a total of 5000$. All in all you would end up spending about the same price since the HD I/O 16 x 16 analogue is also 5000$. One advantage I can see with the rednet system, is that you could keep the preamps near you to keep an eye on the input, and have the Rednet 5 box in your machine room, connected with the cat 5 dante connection. I'm hoping that Avid will come up with a similar system in the future so that we can use a cat 5 or cat 6 to pass the wiring on longer distances than what you can now with the digicables.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 PM

i have a preamp. so no need to buy a rednet preamp?

from what i know to make it talk to my pt10hd hd1 setup i just need the rednet5 which is the a/d converter. ? or am i wrong?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
i have a preamp. so no need to buy a rednet preamp?

from what i know to make it talk to my pt10hd hd1 setup i just need the rednet5 which is the a/d converter. ? or am i wrong?
The rednet 5 doesn't have optical inputs that you would need, nor does it have analogues input. It's slightly like a big red router, that allows you to connect 5 rednet 5 together to a HD/HDX rig to get up to 192 channels, for that you'd have to get 10 rednet 4 (or rendet 3).

In your case though, since you have preamps, I imagine they have optical outs? If so then you could actually get a renet 3 which only has optical I/O, connect it to the rednet 5 which is connected to your HD/HDX card. The rednet 3 cost 1500$. So that way it becomes slightly cheaper, but then again a HD I/O 16 x 16 digital is also 2500$, so that one is still cheaper by 500$

One cool thing though about the Renet 3, is if you have 32 channels of Preamps, then you can connect them all to that one box since each optical input of the rednet supports 8 channel at 44.1/48k, or 4 at 88/96. You could do the same with a 16 x 16 HD I/O if you added an additional I/O card to it, but then it would cost more than the total of the rednet system.

Rednet is a new system though, so integration with pro tools and having it work flawlessly is still maybe a mystery as I don't know anyone who actually runs such a system full time yet, outside of those that made their appearance on the Focusrite website, which I always take with a grain of salt no matter which company it is.

My best bet for now, if you want to keep it stable and hassle free, keep with the same maker. If you want to be a trailblazer, then go for the rednet.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 AM

ill keep the 192 then :)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 AM

Again if you're willing to go for the exchange and pay the difference you will notice a sound difference.

Wave-T.com