Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Pre-amps... help me choose please.

hey guys, Heres what I'm looking for 2 things:

1) I'm looking to get XLR inputs into the 5-8 1/4inch inputs on my Digi002r.
I was looking at this SM Pro Q-Pre Has anyone used this before? It goes for only $80 on Musiciansfriend.com (uses a wall wart). I'm looking for something thats going to give me transparent/clean volume control going into my Digi002r.

2) SPDIF dual pre-amp unit... Tube would be nice so i have the option. I was looking at the ART DSP II, Digital MPA Pro II or maybe the Aphex 207

Anyone think these will work for me? I want 4 transparent/clean XLR to 1/4inch pre-amps and a SPDIF Tube Pre to warm up some vocals, bass, guitar(before amp modeler) and some Acoustic.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Pre-amps... help me choose please.

I actually owned an Pro Audio SM-08 which was simply an 8 channel converter with an ADAT out. Cabinet was solid and well built. Sounded clean but no -10 +4 switch and I was using Busses from a pro board so I had to get another unit. (Looks like a pretty good deal.) Ironically I switched to an Aphex A/D 8x converter box. This box is also well built and had trims on each I/O so everything could be tweaked. Neither of these are exactly the units you're talking about but I like the choices. Also in my experience Art's lower end pre's are very noisy. Hope this helps
Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Hmm.. i see that SM Pro 08 doesn't have any kind of volume control so you would need the sound board... I don't want to use a Sound board anymore and thats ADAT which i already have.

I can' find any reviews on the SM Pro Q-pre that are helpful, only one that said it was broken on arrival... but not talk about the sonic quality or noise level.

I'm looking for something that is equal quality to the Digi002r's XLR inputs for the 5-8 pre amp

And I'd like something the SPDIF unit to be a better quality Tube for the variety.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Jonny, I understand these units were not the ones you were talking about, I'm simply saying (in my experience) I liked both SM and Aphex in general. There are a million mid priced 4 and 8x pre/converter units. (do a DUC search) If you want a better S/PDIF unit for vocals and drums for instance, check out the JoeMeek TwinQ, with built in compression and EQ.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM

As far as #1 goes on the cheap, 2x M-Audio DMP-3 or 4x Studio Projects VTB-1 would work. I still use two DMP-3s for inputs 5-8 on my BLA-modded 002 and they sound great. Clean and lotsa gain (works well with ribbons, SM7s, etc..) Much better than the onboard pres (even after the mod.)

As far as the S/PDIF goes, an Apogee Mini-Me might be a good option for you (you can get used ones without the USB option for cheap.)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
As far as #1 goes on the cheap, 2x M-Audio DMP-3 or 4x Studio Projects VTB-1 would work. I still use two DMP-3s for inputs 5-8 on my BLA-modded 002 and they sound great. Clean and lotsa gain (works well with ribbons, SM7s, etc..) Much better than the onboard pres (even after the mod.)

As far as the S/PDIF goes, an Apogee Mini-Me might be a good option for you (you can get used ones without the USB option for cheap.)
hmm.. those look like good options... the MAudio DMP-2 was like #1 rated and they say that the DMP-3 is the same with some improvements.

Also... that Studio Projects looks really nice too.. an i like the option to blend the tube sound in or go full Solid State or full Tube.

have you used both? and which one sounds "better" in general.. in terms of quietness and transparentness(is that a word?.. ha)
Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 PM

Read up on the reviews for the SP VTB-1 and most of them are saying that it sounds very good, very quiet, and is one of the best pre amps under ~$600 most of them compared it to a RNP and HHB Radius 40.. which they said it was comparable to...

All reviews said that the Solid state setting to about even blend sounded really good.. and all reviews said that all Tube setting sounded like crap..

Alright.. well I'm sold on this...

If i wanted to get 4 of these and get 2 rackmount kits... it would run me about $600...

And then I was thinking about getting something like the DBX 386 for a SPDIF full tube pre-amp. which is ~$500...

Is it best to have different sounding Pre's or to have most of them sound the same. Because im sure if you are recording 12 channels of Drums... wouldn't it be best have them sound as similar as possible? or just use the pre taht sounds best on that drum/instrument.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Alright... I feel kinda dumb.. I didn't realize that i had a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro sitting in my back room.. that has 4 XLRs in... and 4 1/4 inch Insert/Direct Outs... Exactly what I need... inputs are clean, no hum, sounds very transparent and about the same as sound as the Digi002r inputs.

Now my search has changed courses... my 4 1/4 input situation is solved(for now)...

Now I'm looking for a really good 2 channel Tube SPDIF unit. Maybe something like the Aphex 207D or DBX 386
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 PM

I have a DBX 386, bought it 7 years ago, back then they were going used for ~$275. At that price they're great, and there seems to be several on Craigslist. The preamps are decent, the tube circuitry isn't starved-plate garbage like other inexpensive tube gear, the ADC is also decent, and the digital soft-clipping is a nice safety net. It's the perfect solution for the $300-400 market. Too bad they retail for $500.

For $500 might as well get a Focusrite OctoPre and add 8 inputs instead of only two. Either that or aim higher on two great channels for better overdubs/vocals.

There are no tube preamps under $2000 that don't have a solid state competitor with a much better price/performance ratio. Even the DBX 386, while the tube circuitry is good, is actually a solid state preamp with a tube gain stage, and does not have an overtly "tubey" sound. Forget tubes. They are more likely to be a problem than an asset in your price range.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 AM

Actually, I find many so called tube pre's veer towards the gimmick side of things. I spent months trying all sorts of high end pre's and eventually settled on the UA - LA 610 Mk2.

I found the Avalons gave the most clear representation of the source signal, but they were too clinical. The Joe Meek Meequaliser had heaps of features & for the price might be good for some, but I found the compressor lacks strength.

Ok, so the UA is only one channel, but it is gritty and beautifully. Some may not opt for a 'colored' sound. I say go for it!

If you're just after a pre, look at the UA 610 solo(?). Good luck.