Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-1999, 11:32 AM

Default 2 IDE drives in B&W MAC = NOT GOOD

I tried to chain 2 drives off the MASTER IDE buss in my B&W G3 300, It screws up everything. Not only does the size of files being copied change, the computer will crash on almost anything. Peak will Quit when set to DAE with a hardware error....etc..
You can however put a drive in the ZIP expansion bay set to MASTER and have it work off the SECONDARY IDE Chain but the disadvantage is obvious.
So I guess when Apple made all those extra drive bays in the B&W, it was for SCSI drives.

I just thought someone would find this interesting....
Old 09-18-1999, 02:32 PM

Default Re: 2 IDE drives in B&W MAC = NOT GOOD

My beige 266 desktop did not accept second IDE drive - I had to remove CD-ROM to make it work. I didn't try hard, but it is much easier with PCs...
Przemek.
Old 09-23-1999, 02:27 PM

Default Re: 2 IDE drives in B&W MAC = NOT GOOD

All,

Yes, I have observed this problem on a 266 beige G3.

The second IDE drive absolutely will not chain. Przmek, I know you said you didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I did. As far as I can tell, it just won't happen. I had the same deal with the CD ROM. I chalk it up to another difficult-to-diagnose PT/Mac hardware incompatibility problem.

I don't mean to complain exactly, but this storage thing seems like a bit of a DUH. I don't know about you guys, but I have a pretty large and ongoing need for SD II file storage. (I think I have about a .7TB of audio in SDII format right now)

I think that Digi has done a good thing by finally acknowledging this specialized and important area of PT function with this particular thread-site. Now, how about better dissemination of information about these drive compatibility issues, etc? There are some of us out here who actually require long-term mass storage solutions that go beyond the standard "put-it-to-tape" solutions that are usually proposed. There... I feel better

haha

k.