Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Release Date & Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Just buy a work horse Mac and you won't be needing any freeze track option
Do you think your PT sessions will open and playback perfectly 5 years from now? 10? 15?

I sure hope you're not archiving them with instrument tracks, MIDI, plugins, etc all still active and necessary for proper playback.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Of course Avid had to cripple the "vanilla" users by limiting "Offline Bounce" to ONE bus selection whereas as PTHD can do X (X = as many as you want?) ...
It's 16 I think.

The cool part about Freeze it that there's no "setup", no busses. It just does it and then undoes it. Bouncing has more steps.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
I will be going to 12 for track freeze alone
Slate Batch Commander (ONE TIME) $99.00

Not $599 or $199 and it doesn't "expire" ...

It's only ONE of the MANY advertised functions.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Slate Batch Commander (ONE TIME) $99.00

Not $599 or $199 and it doesn't "expire" ...

It's only ONE of the MANY advertised functions.
Use the batch commander for track freezing 5 audio tracks and you are already out of the undo capabilities set in pro tools. So if you saw something just after doing the batch command track freeze, you're out of luck

Wave-T.com
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Use the batch commander for track freezing 5 audio tracks and you are already out of the undo capabilities set in pro tools. So if you saw something just after doing the batch command track freeze, you're out of luck
Guess you better be sure then, huh?

FYI: Digital Performer has for as long as I can remember unlimited undo - you can step back as far as you want in a project. Simply amazing.

You can also look back in your undo history and see when you recorded guitars, or vocals - or whatever. Neat to go back and look years later.

Last edited by WombatStudio.Org; 02-05-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added "years later"
Old 02-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Oops - delete/ignore this post - hit Quote instead of Edit.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Where are you getting this from? I'm a full time music pro. Cloud Collab is not something that is a big deal for me, client are usually on all kinds of different systems or software versions, or they come to me for the full recording and mix. Track Freeze, on the other hand, will make a big difference to my workflow.

I will be going to 12 for track freeze alone, along with the archiving feature that goes with it. Many times I have had clients come back sometimes 10 or 15 years later and want to open sessions we created on some prehistoric software release. It will be awesome to have an easy way to archive a whole session to printed audio.
The grapevine here in LA. I'm not going to mention names, but there are a lot of unhappy people now with AVID and their new subscription plan. PT12 brings nothing anyone wants to the table.
And the fact that they can lose the ability to update and upgrade forever unless they pay the annual fee, has them running for the hills.

Its not to say they won't use pro tools but many are just going to stick with PT11 and decide later what to move to.
Track freeze hasn't been announced as part of PT12.

Just because someone saw it in a demo, doesn't mean that it is going to be in v12.

JFreak said he has been using cloud collab for years, so maybe those who are in with AVID get those features.

This says a lot:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...not-be-up.html

And that is just the tip. If AVID loses half their user base, they are done for. We are one month into the new year, and you can already see how unhappy people are with AVID.
Ready to bail.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables

Last edited by lexaudio; 02-05-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I'm still not quite so hasty to dismiss cloud collab. Actually I think some folks ARE calling for it, and it's mostly post (not top end). A TV post colleague of mine is really looking forward to it, for example - I'm very wary, I find it hard to believe it will work smoothly in practice I guess.

So I don't think casual dismissal is quite right, but it's certainly no panacea. It will only be of relevance to a small minority of users, I agree with that.
The major studios and TV projects won't be using it or need it. Like I said, they will probably be blocking the port that uses it.

There is too much at risk to trust a 3rd party cloud.

Some people will use it, yes, but a very, very small percent of the users.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I heard this in an actual AVID promotion statement regarding Cloud collaboration (paraphrasing here): "If you want to collaborate with someone that doesn't own Pro Tools, they can just download Pro Tools First and away you go"

As I said, AVID would undoubtedly require one side of the collaboration to have a full version (but THAT is just speculation since AVID hasn't explicitly stated that one way or the other)
I was wrong. You can collaborate with PT First. But I don't know if it has any limitations.

"The Cloud Collaboration features are coming to all versions of Pro Tools in 2015, including Pro Tools | First. One of the reasons behind launching Pro Tools | First is that it will allow anyone to download the app and participate in the new Cloud Collaboration features with other Pro Tools users, including other Pro Tools | First users, making it possible to play and write music with your friends and colleagues wherever they are in the world even if you have never used Pro Tools before or if you are using another DAW."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM

ProTools | First is limited to 3 collaborative projects according to the FAQ. It is not ProTools Free.