Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2000, 04:36 PM

Default 2 IDE/HDs, partions, boot drive questions...

I'm a planning on buying a Digi001 and running it on my MacG4/400(saw), 256MbRAM, 20GbHD, OS9.0.4. I'm adding another internal IDE/HD (IBM Deskstar 75GXP, 75Gb, 7200RPM, Ultra ATA/100) as a dedicated audio drive.

After reading posts about troubles encountered after installing ProToolsLE (DVD player not working, computer won't boot, system-wide slow downs, etc.), I'm a bit concerned. The G4 is my main computer, which I depend on for other work/personal related tasks.

My question is: Is it possible to allocate a partition of the new HD for a clean install of OS9 & PT/LE, then select it as the boot drive only when I want to run PT/LE? Could I then boot off the original HD for everyday use?

I've replaced an internal IDE/HD before, but never added a 2nd one. Are there issues that would make this approach unfeasible? I recall reading something about having to flip dip switches for slave/master settings. Can you swap which (internal) drive you boot from on the fly, or at least without having to open the case?

Thanks for any info.

Robb Houston www.robbhouston.com

[Sorry about the cross-post to the Mac/Digi001 group. I just started monitoring this discussion group. New to the site.]