Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Rookie question about using an analog mixer

So i was given a 24 channel EVM4 mixing console from my brother. I have it in my studio and im just basically using it for master volume at the moment. I was watching a video earlier of Chris Lord Algae mixing a miranda lambert song and in the middle he was using one fader to turn up and the down the volume of the music and using other faders to turn up and down the vocals. So my question is how could I go about hooking my mixing console up to where I can use use one fader for the music and another fader for the vocals and use the Eq's on the board to edit the vocals?

(btw I have already panned the music to the left side and pan the vocals to the right side and could do it that way. After I use the eq's on the board to edit the vocal, I bounced out the song from pro tools and none of the eq's I did on the board was still on the song)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Rookie question about using an analog mixer

You need to use Pro Tools just like a multi-track tape machine and feed line input to each track (for mixing and out each track if you are tracking live through the console) and record the main bus, or whatever other bus you want. Lots of books on audio engineering will talk about doing that. If like your profile shows you have a 2x2 interface, you cannot even start, to use the full console you would need a 24x26 (or more) interface, worth well more than the console itself (even to partially use the console, the interface needed is likely to cost you more than the console is worth).

But uh what is this? An Elecro Voice mixer.... likely not worth much and will sound worse than mixing ITB, and you can’t automate the mixer or use it as a control surface... so why bother? I’d maybe put it aside and use for band practice etc. If you want a control surface start by looking at the Avid S3, if you really want to mix OTB that will sound great... what is your budget ?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2018 at 07:46 PM.