Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Default PT-HD9 vs. PT-HD9 using Eleven Rack's Playback Engine

Not really vs. just some random observations.

I've spent the last few days wasting alot of time going back & forth between the HD/TDM Playback Engine & the Eleven Rack Playback Engine on the same Mac Pro 2.66. When in HD/TDM mode an Aurora 16/LT-HD is the interface.

Obviously it's not fair to compare Eleven Rack USB's performance vs. HD2 on the same machine but it's all I got. I'm not even talking AD/DA or any of that...I've just been curious about the Native Performance of PT9.
It works pretty well with Eleven Rack when it's not giving me errors. I've opened up some pretty hefty size sessions and overdubbed to them. From time to time I do get "Reduce RTAS Raise Buffer" errors even when no plugs are on. It's totally random depending on how the Mac Pro feels upon Startup I guess. Sometimes it goes good except when you truly are stressing it out. That's to be expected.

So in conclusion...again it's not fair comparing the two but it's all I got. It's a first generation Mac Pro also. Perhaps an 8/12 core Mac Pro with a super spiffy PCIe card...the thing is flawless with PT9 when running it totally Native but for my setup with what I got...I love NOT SEEING REDUCE RTAS, RAISE BUFFER! It reminds me why I got rid of my 002 in the first place. It's all about workflow, well that's part of it. I'd still like to see it with a huge Mix up on a tricked out Mac Pro running Native.

YMMV naturally
Decaff!