Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Default Orchestral VIs

I'm looking to add an orchestral VI to my PTMP8 arsenal.

I've spent some time using NI Philharmonik (full version), and it's not bad. Though the strings definitely come off as synthy and don't usually sound like actual recorded samples.

Most of what it would be used for is in pop/rock/indierock type of songs. And I know the one limitation to any or all of these orchestral VIs, is they are recording in a classical orchestral type of environment and are suited best for those type of compositions. For example, you're not going to get a nice dry solo cello played in a small to moderate studio room sound from any of them. Or can you?

Those of you who have one or more of these VIs (like Philharmonik, East West Orchestra, etc)... which do you like, and why? Opinions on Philharmonik?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Orchestral VIs

I have Vienna Instruments Special Edition, and think it's great. There is a great selection of solo and ensemble instruments, and everything has been recorded dry.