Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Warning: Waves V5

i noticed on the Waves website that version 5 is available so I thought I'd download it because it had a couple of cool features. So far it doesn't work well. I tried a couple of sessions that had a fair amount of waves plguins (around 25 or so) that ran well with version 4.05 - errors within a few seconds. I reinstalled version 4.05 and things seems to work again. If anyone else has better luck let me know as I would like to stay current, but I need to finish up a couple of sessions first.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Warning: Waves V5

can you please test if removing some plugs (five or so) helps getting rid of the errors? it might be that the new versions are not yet optimized thus having lower performance than the older probably optimized plugs. how many plugs you need to remove to get rid of the errors? i'm expecting a 10% performance loss - you're in a good position to test it
Old 07-09-2004, 05:21 AM

Quote:
i'm expecting a 10% performance loss - you're in a good position to test it
Why is that? Unless you have downgraded your processor or upgraded your OS the Waves PIs should give the same or more power (with code or processor specific optimization) as before?

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 07-09-2004, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
i'm expecting a 10% performance loss - you're in a good position to test it
Why is that?
any dot-zero release can be expected to perform worse, because it likely isn't yet fully optimized code. and with waves v4 the dot-zero plugins even had this nasty little feature that caused horrible distortion, remember?

one has to be brave to use dot-zero software in production environment, period.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:26 AM

Quote:
any dot-zero release can be expected to perform worse, because it likely isn't yet fully optimized code. and with waves v4 the dot-zero plugins even had this nasty little feature that caused horrible distortion, remember?

one has to be brave to use dot-zero software in production environment, period.

That kind of problem can happen with any new release if it has a zero in it or not. Nothing can be assumed from the version numbers. Neither can one assume from changing from v4 to v5 that the whole code has been re-written or even large parts of it. Neither can you assume a loss or gain in efficiency or even that there will be a change at all.

I personally only use a few Waves PIs as I only have Native bundles. Day to day I am using a TDM system so I use a lot of TDM plugs in my sessions and only a few RTAS.

However, hopefully there won't be a negative change in efficiency using LE with RTAS when I try it with my 002r.

Maybe we need a few more posts from users with heavily Waves loaded sessions who are now running out of CPU to conclude that efficiency is down and not just a preconception?

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 07-09-2004, 07:20 AM

I agree, little should be assumed based on version number, especially when there's so little change. There are almost no new features in the V5 Waves bundle. I haven't installed them on my PC yet, but I installed the demo on my Mac, and didn't notice anything new on the handful of plugs I checked.

I was pleased that Waves didn't charge me anything for the 4.05->5 update; they realize there's nothing new there.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I agree, little should be assumed based on version number, especially when there's so little change. There are almost no new features in the V5 Waves bundle. I haven't installed them on my PC yet, but I installed the demo on my Mac, and didn't notice anything new on the handful of plugs I checked.

I was pleased that Waves didn't charge me anything for the 4.05->5 update; they realize there's nothing new there.
Are you saying that going from 4 to 5 is free? It didn't look that way to me. Everything on that site is so cryptic... When I log into my Waves account it shows that an "upgrade" from version 4 to 5 is available. When I click on that, it promts me to "buy" it.

dk
Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that going from 4 to 5 is free? It didn't look that way to me.
waves warrants its products for one year, so if you have purchased your plugs within a year as i did, you get a free upgrade.

the reason i'm worried about the possible performance loss is because just recently i had to reinstall my whole system and during that process it was more convenient for me to install v5 plugins. i have the renaissance bundle and the musicians bundle, and have used to use a lot of renaissance channel plug... so it's not trivial whether i can put in ten or twenty of those.

please, someone who has a maxxed out v4 session try how many plugs needs to be removed to get rid of the errors...
Old 07-09-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:

??? there is alot there;

Tempo Sync - Four plug-ins have been upgraded with a new feature of automatic tempo sync. The plug-ins are: Enigma, MetaFlanger, MondoMod and SuperTap.
The new functionality enables those plug-ins to lock to the host application’s tempo and tie the relevant controls to that externally controlled tempo.
Morphoder MIDI Control - Morphoder, part of the Transform bundle, now becomes a true virtual instrument. In all supported host applications you will be able to assign a MIDI track output to an open instance of the Morphoder and play its internal carrier from a MIDI track using recorded MIDI data or live playback from a MIDI controller.

Waves 360° Bundle for Windows - The Waves 360° Surround Tools Bundle is now available for ProTools TDM running on Windows.

Waves 360° Bundle – Native - On both Mac & PC, the Waves 360° Bundle now supports Native processing, running as RTAS & HTDM.

HTDM Support - All Waves plug-ins now support Digidesign’s HTDM architecture, enabling Native processing while maintaining important TDM functionalities such as changing a track’s number of outputs (mono ->stereo, mono/stereo ->surround), inserting a plug-in on Aux and/or Master tracks and more.
Note! – ProTools TDM 6.4cs4 update is required for HTDM support http://www.digidesign.com/download/cs/

HD Accel Support for Windows - Digidesign’s new HD Accel hardware is now supported for Windows.

96kHz Support On HD Accel - Several plug-ins are now supported at 96kHz sample rate on Digidesign’s new HD Accel DSP cards.

The enhanced plug-ins are: C4, SuperTap*, Morphoder, LinMB, LinEQ (Broadband Mono component only). * SuperTap is now also supported up to 192khz in Native process.

Digi 002 and Command/8 Control Surface support - All Waves plug-ins are now officially mapped to Digidesign’s Digi 002 and Command|8 control surfaces.

Automatic Delay Compensation support for Pro Tools - All Waves plug-ins are adapted to support the new Automatic Delay Compensation feature in ProTools 6.4

of these it looks like good updates (to me) for the LE users the ones that i cane see are;

Quote:

Tempo Sync - Four plug-ins have been upgraded with a new feature of automatic tempo sync. The plug-ins are: Enigma, MetaFlanger, MondoMod and SuperTap.
The new functionality enables those plug-ins to lock to the host application’s tempo and tie the relevant controls to that externally controlled tempo.
Morphoder MIDI Control - Morphoder, part of the Transform bundle, now becomes a true virtual instrument. In all supported host applications you will be able to assign a MIDI track output to an open instance of the Morphoder and play its internal carrier from a MIDI track using recorded MIDI data or live playback from a MIDI controller.

Waves 360° Bundle for Windows - The Waves 360° Surround Tools Bundle is now available for ProTools TDM running on Windows.

Waves 360° Bundle – Native - On both Mac & PC, the Waves 360° Bundle now supports Native processing, running as RTAS & HTDM.

The enhanced plug-ins are: C4, SuperTap*, Morphoder, LinMB, LinEQ (Broadband Mono component only). * SuperTap is now also supported up to 192khz in Native process.

Automatic Delay Compensation support for Pro Tools - All Waves plug-ins are adapted to support the new Automatic Delay Compensation feature in ProTools 6.4
what is not new here? or maybe these aren't important to you.

also i have used up a session with 4.05 plug's and have noticed with 5.0 i hit the wall sooner while playing through. now i DO NOT believe in the dot-zero release = crap stuff. that is alot of misinformation if you ask me. i have worked in the industry 8+ years and i am here to tell you (again) that any release has the potential to slow down areas and speed up others. no one type of release is supposedly faster/more stable than any other. at least not by following a dot-sero = crap mentality. that said there is a decrease in performance there.

ironically (and i am just throwing this out as a reference) there is no speed decrease in logic. BIG DISCLAMER AGAIN: i do not endorse one or the other for recording i only have access to both and noticed that the rtas plugins for digi are slower. NOTE: the plugins for Logic are AU and closer to apple. since i am on a mac (Of course) this could be the reason why.

2 cents,
ken;
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 AM

Not all Waves plugs are equal, so you're not likely to get a useful response to a question like that.

Some individual tests are possible, for instance, number of Rverb instances which will run in each version. That might tell you something.