Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Transport / Control Jog Shuttle Wheel

My apologies if this seems like a repeat but I could not find an answer to what I am looking for in other posts. With the exception of my Artist Control and Transport, every other Jog/Shuttle device on the market today allows you to operate in HUI mode, which automatically locks the Jog wheel detents to the Quantize value in your DAW. So if you have your DAW set to 1/16th note resolution, then 16 clockwise clicks of the Jog wheel moves the cursor in the DAW exactly on measure forward and the cursor lands on the start of the measure from the last measure. This is a must have for using the jog wheel to edit notes and other parameters within the track editing.

I cannot believe that the Artist series jog wheels cannot do this, so I must be missing something. To not include this feature makes the unit worthless in my opinion and they are not cheap to begin with. So can anyone tell me how to program the jog wheel to do this or what settings to use. I thought I saw a post on this a while back but cannot find it.

Thanks

RJ
Old 03-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Transport / Control Jog Shuttle Wheel

The jog wheel is only as precise as full measure increments in Logic Pro X. This was broken about 4 years ago and never fixed.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 AM

Default Transport / Control Jog Shuttle Wheel

I use Move Selection for this (PT 12), when you don't have nothing selected it just moves the cursor as you request.
Cheers. Adrian
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 AM

It is the same for the Artist Transport? I hate to say this but how is it that engineers at AVID could call this device a "Transport" if it doe not transport properly! Very stupid in my opinion. I bought a Berhinger X-Touch, unpacked it from the box, connected it to a computer changed one menu setting to make it operate in HUI mode and it immediately synced the jog wheel to the project note resolution. So when you turn the jog wheel it automatically syncs to the measure.

RJ
Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Yes, It works in the Artist Transport on Pro Tools

Inside Eucon:

- Select a Wheel mode: Softkeys - Command - Wheel - Jog - Move Selection

In PT

- Now the central wheel moves the cursor (or selection) by the intervals selected in Grid Mode

- If you press command while you're moving the wheel and the cursor it just moves freely

I don't know if that will work in Logic though

Cheers, Adrian
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Thanks; I will give it a try
Old 06-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Well, it has been a while but i actually solved this. In Cubase 9, there are actually 2 different commands. The first is COM+SHIFT+Keypad +/- which will advance the cursor without engaging the play function which is exactly what i wanted. The second, which is even better in Cubase 9 is the COM+Keypad +/- buttons which will advance the cursor and lock to either the Bar, Beat or Quantize value in the project window and will lock to the Quantize value in any editor. This is the most sweetest function in my opinion for the Artist Transport jog wheel.

Now that that is solved, new problem. I have set up Cubase 9 key commands to shuttle forward and back according to the zones described in the key commands section of Cubase pertaining to Shuttle play to take advantage of the Transport Shuttle Ring. The problem is in the EUControl program for custom jog/shuttle commands, the "Hold Down" function is greyed out and not selectable. And the commands will not work correctly without using the Hold Down Key function. Can anyone tell me if there is a wok around or why this function is greyed out in EUCON?