Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Hi, I'm studying Sound Technology at university level and I need a DAW, naturally Pro Tools is my first choice. I will be purchasing a new PC in October/November when I go back to university which will have Windows 8 installed as default. However, I can't find anything on the AVID website (which is really poor imho) or on Google that gives information about Pro Tools 10 Windows 8 support. Could someone clarify if AVID are planning to (or already do) support Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

I know for sure that Cubase 6.5 work on Windows 8 and it is my second choice DAW, but I'd prefer to learn the industry standard.

I don't mind waiting til after Christmas to buy if I have to, I'd just like some re-assurance on your stance at the moment.

I don't want to purchase Cubase 6.5 only to find out you'll be patching support for Pro Tools in the near future.

I'd really appreciate ANY information on this as it's quite serious for me, I *need* a DAW for uni by March at the latest.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Avid have not Qualified Windows 8 for Pro Tools.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Avid have not Qualified Windows 8 for Pro Tools.
Why not?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Why not?
it is still in beta, its not even released. a developer preview has been released but things will still change in it. normal procedure for hem to wait until after its released to address it. how they have always done it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Avid has never been quick to qualify new OS releases and they do not publicly commit ahead of time when OSes will be officially supported.

Though hopefully they might provide some guidance here given folks seem to be having trouble getting things to work with Windows 8.

Anyhow the reason is for delays to support new OS releases is some combination of --

1. As Avid staff have explained here in the past there is a huge matrix of Avid and 3rd party interfaces, computer configuration, third party plugins, control surfaces, etc. they need to test against and this is just a huge effort.

2. Avid is not doing well, has laid off lots of people and reassigned others. Who know what affect his has on QA/testing and getting any product changes that may be necessary actually released. (I have no idea of any actual impact here).

3. Maybe Avid intends to tweek things in Pro Tools for Windows 8 UI features (I have no clue if this is planned).

4. Mac users have just gone through Lion and now Mountain Lion (and its not officially supported yet either). Since Mac is always more important than PCs the impact of doing that work may slow down official approval on Windows...

Take you choice, the answer will likely be some combination of the above.

But, and it the important BUT,... as is often the case for these "this is urgent dramas", there are obvious workable options should the worse case thing happen and Avid did not have a supported Pro Tools release on Windows 8. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to buy/use a Windows 8 PC. Windows 7 is fully supported and OEMs will likely still sell them fro some time, and you'll have the even better option of buying a Windows 8 Pro PC and using the downgrade license ability to run Windows 7.

Darryl
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
it is still in beta, its not even released. a developer preview has been released but things will still change in it. normal procedure for hem to wait until after its released to address it. how they have always done it.
Right on brother.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid has never been quick to qualify new OS releases and they do not publicly commit ahead of time when OSes will be officially supported.

Though hopefully they might provide some guidance here given folks seem to be having trouble getting things to work with Windows 8.

Anyhow the reason is for delays to support new OS releases is some combination of --

1. As Avid staff have explained here in the past there is a huge matrix of Avid and 3rd party interfaces, computer configuration, third party plugins, control surfaces, etc. they need to test against and this is just a huge effort.

2. Avid is not doing well, has laid off lots of people and reassigned others. Who know what affect his has on QA/testing and getting any product changes that may be necessary actually released. (I have no idea of any actual impact here).

3. Maybe Avid intends to tweek things in Pro Tools for Windows 8 UI features (I have no clue if this is planned).

4. Mac users have just gone through Lion and now Mountain Lion (and its not officially supported yet either). Since Mac is always more important than PCs the impact of doing that work may slow down official approval on Windows...

Take you choice, the answer will likely be some combination of the above.

But, and it the important BUT,... as is often the case for these "this is urgent dramas", there are obvious workable options should the worse case thing happen and Avid did not have a supported Pro Tools release on Windows 8. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to buy/use a Windows 8 PC. Windows 7 is fully supported and OEMs will likely still sell them fro some time, and you'll have the even better option of buying a Windows 8 Pro PC and using the downgrade license ability to run Windows 7.

Darryl
Tremendously helpful post!

Might have to look into the W7 downgrade option then as my experience with AVID so far has been less than great (and I haven't even purchased anything yet!)

Looks like I'll be buying Cubase 6.5 at this rate. I'm going into my second year of uni soon and I will *NEED* a DAW for most things by Christmas at the latest for vital coursework. There aren't a lot of good free DAWs as well I find.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 AM

If i remember correct from earlier years dont expect any support for a new os for atleast 6 months or more after its reeased.

And as already said, in this case Windows 8 is not even officially released.
Be pacient or go for Windows 7 wich works fine with Pro Tools 10 if you have the right hardware!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
If i remember correct from earlier years dont expect any support for a new os for atleast 6 months or more after its reeased.

And as already said, in this case Windows 8 is not even officially released.
Be pacient or go for Windows 7 wich works fine with Pro Tools 10 if you have the right hardware!
Such a shame. I'll go with Cubase 6.5

One of those rare moments where you want to give somebody your cash but they do everything to stop you. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Windows 8 is not in beta. It's been available (RTM) to MSDN customers for weeks now, of which I am sure Avid is a member.