Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Default AAX Plugins not available

I've got 46 AAX plug-ins in my Plug-ins folder (on Mac it's located at: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-ins) but only 21 are available in PT 11.

In fact, if I open a session from PT 10 which used these same plug-ins, it goes as far as to tell me it's de-activating them because they aren't available. But they're in the plug-ins folder!

Any ideas what magic I have to perform to make this work?

Dstryr

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Default Re: AAX Plugins not available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstryr View Post
I've got 46 AAX plug-ins in my Plug-ins folder (on Mac it's located at: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-ins) but only 21 are available in PT 11.

In fact, if I open a session from PT 10 which used these same plug-ins, it goes as far as to tell me it's de-activating them because they aren't available. But they're in the plug-ins folder!

Any ideas what magic I have to perform to make this work?

Dstryr
Hi,

Some might be 32bit versions for pt10

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Thanks Chris. Is there any way of checking which plugs are 32 and which are 64? Cmd-i on the finder item perhaps? (I'm not at my mac right now to try it).

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM

When you look around the forum, there is a kind of shift in the terminology where AAX are the 32bit and AAX2 are the 64bit plugins - anything to avoid confusion?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
When you look around the forum, there is a kind of shift in the terminology where AAX are the 32bit and AAX2 are the 64bit plugins - anything to avoid confusion?
Hmm. Good suggestion, i do have a new folder within mu Library>Audio folder since installing PT 11. Something like AAX2S. But I could counter that by saying that my system (or my PT installation) doesn't make that distinction. Of the 46 *.aaxplugin files in my Plug-ins folder (not the new one, which is currently empty), 21 are available in PT 11, the remainder aren't. That makes me think that if PT can only open 64 bit plug-ins, then there must be some way that PT can tell the difference between them, so surely there should be some way that I can cross-check it, to make sure PT is behaving(?).

As if to prove my point, even 10 is currently misbehaving in this regard, by telling me that my Moogerfooger Analog Delay license is not on my iLok, yet my iLok says it is.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Good suggestion, i do have a new folder within mu Library>Audio folder since installing PT 11. Something like AAX2S. But I could counter that by saying that my system (or my PT installation) doesn't make that distinction. Of the 46 *.aaxplugin files in my Plug-ins folder (not the new one, which is currently empty), 21 are available in PT 11, the remainder aren't. That makes me think that if PT can only open 64 bit plug-ins, then there must be some way that PT can tell the difference between them, so surely there should be some way that I can cross-check it, to make sure PT is behaving(?).

As if to prove my point, even 10 is currently misbehaving in this regard, by telling me that my Moogerfooger Analog Delay license is not on my iLok, yet my iLok says it is.
PT 10 and PT 11 both share the same AAX plugin folder and it's the original one that was installed when PT 10 was installed and not the AAX2S folder. I don't think there's any way short of looking at a developer's site to see what's aax 32 bit and aax 64 bit compatible.

What I would do is to put all your aax plugs back in to the original aax folder and when you start up PT 11 do NOT allow it to move the incompatible aax plugs to the unused aax plugins folder. Then you'll still have all your plugs available in PT 10.

Don't know what to say about the Moogerfooger Delay as mine's okay.

QAPLA!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks musicman. I'm now getting assistance from Avid on the Moogerfooger, I'll see how that goes.

But here's a q: when installing the Joe Meek Compressor and Meequalizer, I am told there's already an file of that name in that folder, presumably the 32-bit version from PT10, and do I want to replace it.

I suppose the question is: do 64-bit plugins work in PT 10, and if not, how do I go about installing 32-bit and 64-bit version of the same plugin, without having to keep swapping them in/out of the Plugins (Unused) folder each time I switch between 10 and 11?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks musicman. I'm now getting assistance from Avid on the Moogerfooger, I'll see how that goes.

But here's a q: when installing the Joe Meek Compressor and Meequalizer, I am told there's already an file of that name in that folder, presumably the 32-bit version from PT10, and do I want to replace it.

I suppose the question is: do 64-bit plugins work in PT 10, and if not, how do I go about installing 32-bit and 64-bit version of the same plugin, without having to keep swapping them in/out of the Plugins (Unused) folder each time I switch between 10 and 11?
The Moogerfooger bundle installer for Pro Tools 11 installs the 4 plug-ins for the bundle, and all 4 AAX versions are both 64-bit and 32-bit for use in both Pro Tools 11 and 10. This is true of all of the Avid plug-ins for Pro Tools 11. No switching plug-ins required when using these with either 10 or 11.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM

Thanks Bruce. Avid Support have been helping with the Moogerfooger issue.

Looks like I'm getting somewhere and PT 11 is hopefully going to be useable now.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Any news on the MoogerFooger Analog delay and iLok authorization issues in Protools 11?

I just installed Protools 11 on my Windows 7 laptop and I have the MoogerFooger Analog Delay on my iLok from the old MBox Factory Bundle. I installed the MoogerFooger AAX bundle and just selected the Analog Delay plugin on installation. Of course Protools doesn't see the authorization on my iLok for this plugin.

The Joe Meek bundle installed fine.

Any fix for this issue?

(A shame to have lost the Cosmonaut Voice and BNR).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One