Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Shopping for Converters & Studio Monitor Controllers

I am now half way through the migration from OTB (via my 32 channel digital desk) to ITB. At present, I'm using an Artist Series set up (MC Control, Transport & 2 Mix units) controlling my Nuendo 7/8 DAW. But all of the audio is still running through my DA7 desk, which feeds my Equator 5.1 array, my Mackie HR824 MkI monitors and my Roland MA-8 Cubes.

The goal now is to run these 3 monitor sources directly from the Controller/DAW. This means I'll need a good AD/DA converter and, I'm guessing a Studio Monitor Controller as well. My current AD/DA is my RME RayDat card running ADAT to my desk. I'm wondering if I should stick with RME audio interfaces to go with my card or if I'll be okay running an Antelope Orion 32 (whichever version) to the RayDat. That's the 1st big question. After that come the logistical questions.

1) Can I run the monitors directly from the audio interface controlled by the DAW/Controllers or will I still need the Studio Monitor Controller?
2) If I have to have the Studio Monitor Controller, which one will run a 5.1 array with 2 stereo setups, that allow for "A,B,C, Switching?"
3) The other factor I have to consider is that almost every Mic Pre/Audio Interface I'm considering to replace the desk (Focusrite 8 Channel, Audient, API 3124, etc.) comes with it's own AD/DA converter. So, should I just use those and just get a 16 channel DA converter to feed the 3 sets of monitors?

I don't know anything about these devices, since I've always used a desk. I've only seen D-sub connectors used on analog desks back in the early 90's. So, I also don't know if they'' be required now for this new arrangement. Therefor any and all advice would be very much appreciated. I'm looking for the fewest possible number of parts with the simplest I/O routing. Ideally, I would love to control all of the monitor features directly from the MC Control via Nuendo.

Can you guys help me with this?