Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Default DOES PT CRASH DURING LOUD RECORDINGS (VIBRATIONS)?

I have been having the starngest experience with my PT setup. Whenever I am recoridng super loud bands, PT will crash. I can only assume that its the vibrations that are making it crash. The error I get is "Can't access the drive fast enough" or something to that effect. It never happens when I'm doing any other kind of tracking or mixing/ editing. I tried switching between the FW port & USB 2 port. Same issue at the moment loud volumes kick in. I can record for 30 mins staright 12 tracks when the band is not playing, but 10 seconds into their playing, PT crashes. Its happened on 3 different sessions, which were all really loud!! ANYONE having this problem? I am recoridng 12 to 16 tracks simultaneously. I am downloading 7.1 in the hopes that it might be fixed. Do you think that its simply a physics problem with vibrations causing the drive to crash? Or is it yet another 7.0 issue? ANY help woyuld be greatly appreciated. I have a live show recording on Sunday and I'm stressed!

15" PB G4 1.67 ghz
1.5 gig ram
Digi 002 R
PT 7.0 cs 4
Digimax LT
Lacie D2 160 gig via USB 2.0
Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: DOES PT CRASH DURING LOUD RECORDINGS (VIBRATIONS)?

Has no one had this problem but me???!!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: DOES PT CRASH DURING LOUD RECORDINGS (VIBRATIO

Quote:
Or is it yet another 7.0 issue?
Didn't you read the 7.1 release notes? 7.1 allows at least 12dBA more ambient sound pressure levels until it's crashing!
Sorry dude, but you should have spared us this one for April 1st

Seriously, ever considered borrowing a Multicore and setting up your PT rig in a separate quieter room? If your PB's already crashing during that live show (and it's a hardware issue for sure), your ears will probably too in the long term.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM

What's the power situation like there? It might be that when the band kicks in, the power suck from their amps blasting that loud is affecting your rig. You should have your PT rig including drives on some sort of power conditioner and hopefully it's all on a different circuit than wherever the band is plugging in their amps.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM

Thats what I initially thought, so I bought a UPS that I plug the hard drive into, along with my other stuff. It is rather puzzling to me. And yes, it really is rather a pain in the ass to get asked by loud bands with 2 guitarists playing Hiwatt full stacks to record their live shows. Thank god for my extreme isolation headphones! When I first had the problem, the guy at digidesign tech told me to simply buy a Belkin fw 400 hub and run the hd & the 002R on that (instead of using my single fw 400 port for the 002R and my fw 800 for the lacie). But does it make sense that the vibrations would cause the computer to crash?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 AM

Fear not, the new Powerbook Hard drives have sudden motion sensors in them so when they detect a movement they park the heads on the HD to try and minimise data loss in the event of a bump or knock. If you have a look in the Answerbase there is an article with a script that you punch in to terminal that will disable the Sudden Motion Sensor.

Regards

Here you go
Old 03-11-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Fear not, the new Powerbook Hard drives have sudden motion sensors in them so when they detect a movement they park the heads on the HD to try and minimise data loss in the event of a bump or knock. If you have a look in the Answerbase there is an article with a script that you punch in to terminal that will disable the Sudden Motion Sensor.

Regards

Here you go
YOU ARE A SAINT!!!!! I'll try this out and hopefully it will work. I had no idea such a feature existed! I knew I wasn't crazy!!!!!!!