Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Default S3- No Midi? How do I sync my keyboard tracks?

I am 99% sure to take the plunge to the S3 & move to PROTOOLS permanently. Just one thing I need to know....How do I sync my MIDI tracks through the S3 as it makes my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 obsolete..

Okay, so I am old school and have recorded my backing tracks through my KORG PA 4X and MIDI it to my TASCAM DP24 and dump tracks one at a time and then build more tracks from there live

Going to FINALLY move to my PROTOOLS I bought 2 years ago full time and buying the "Automated Avid Pro Tools S3 Control Surface" which has no "MIDI", rather USB.

Is it the same thing? Just want to make sure my tracks will sync up for dumping on USB the same as MIDI.

The Focusrite has MIDI IN/OUT the S3 does not? Use both tools, go USB?

Any help here would be great

MacBook Pro-2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 - 16GB RAM- 512GB Flash Storage-OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

PRO TOOLS 12-Focusrite Scarlett 18i20-M Audio M38 8 Inch Three Way Monitors-KRK Rockit 5-G3-Audio Technica ATH-M70x

KORG PA 4X 76 Keys-KORG Triton Extreme 61 Keys-Breedlove American CME-25 Acoustic Electric Guitar-Fishman Loudbox Performer Acoustic Guitar Amp

Neumann TLM49-AUDIO TECHNICA AT4040 Condenser Mic-UA 610 Solo-TASCAM DP 24 Digital Recorder
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Re: S3- No Midi? How do I sync my keyboard tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAlton View Post
How do I sync my MIDI tracks through the S3 as it makes my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 obsolete..
The S3 does not do MIDI at all, it's just a control surface with audio inputs and outputs over AVB. You will still need your 18i20 to record MIDI data from your keyboard if it does not do MIDI over USB. Honestly I would keep the 18i20 as your audio interface and just use the S3 as a EUCON control surface as the 18i20 has more inputs/outputs and (cough cough, possibly better mic pres).
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM

I use a simple E-MU Xmidi, that's a MIDI to USB interface in a cable. If you don't want to keep your 18i20.

About the pre-amps, what do you think of the quality of the pre-amp in the S3? I recorded some vocals and they sound good... I used to have an Apogee Quartet, that should have some of the best pre-amps but I don't know if I could pick one of the two blindfolded..
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPaolo View Post
I use a simple E-MU Xmidi, that's a MIDI to USB interface in a cable. If you don't want to keep your 18i20.

About the pre-amps, what do you think of the quality of the pre-amp in the S3? I recorded some vocals and they sound good... I used to have an Apogee Quartet, that should have some of the best pre-amps but I don't know if I could pick one of the two blindfolded..

Honestly I have not tested the mic pre's I'm just going by my personal experience with the 18i20. I know those are solid and clean pre's. The S3 is probably just as good and when it comes to being stuck in a mix, you'd never be able to tell anyway. =)