Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM

Default time compression and phase ?

hell everybody, saturday i'm going to mix a 3 song project, and tonight i was preparing for the mixdown.
i thought this was easy : i needed to tighten up the drums a bit, because they played without clicktrack.
but it gave me a headache.... if i timecompress the
overheads i get a phasing effect, i really don't like.
the sound comes from the middle and randomly shifts from left to right to the centre back again.
i never used timecompression on overheads, so this is a surprise to me ! some years ago i graduated from sae, but my theory is not so good anymore. wat is going on ??? can anybody help me out ? any sollutions ??
thanks, tantejo.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:59 PM

Default Re: time compression and phase ?

why would you time compress the overheads and not the rest of the kit?
Old 07-27-2003, 04:49 AM

hello rigboone, thanks for your reply.
i didn't timecompress the overheads alone, but they gave that phasing effect, because i recorded them as a stereo file. with the kick, snare and toms i don't have problems. i find it rather strange, because the original files were the same length, and i did the same timcompression to them. i thought that the allog. from the plugin would keep them phase locked, but it didn't.
why ???? i don't know ?!
greetings, tantejo.
btw, i set the ammount of samples with timecompression, because otherwise it wasn't exact enough.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:10 PM

You're right , the bog standard TC plug doesn't phase lock the left and the right. I used serato pitch and time to compress a stereo track a little and it sounded ok until i checked it in mono , OH MY GOD PHASING LIKE A MOTHER!!!

You must remember that stereo tracks in pro tools are 2 discrete mono files , and the TC plug processes them as such , one at a time.

I'm sure there is one out there that does phase lock seperate files , try a few demos.

Good luck
Old 07-28-2003, 05:20 PM

try 'invert'-ing the overheads--and post back please. on the subject of TC, has anyone tried the 'time trimmer' in PT 6.0? F6 toggles between 'trim' and 'time trim' (clock face). you can TC or expand a region in the edit window. what's really cool are the effects you get by compressing and expanding a region a number of times in a row at different lengths WITHOUT undoing.