Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-12-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Lacie 250Gig Firewire HD

Hi,

After reading various threads and formatting and reformatting my Lacie 250G firewire HD, I've come to the conclusion that maybe you just can't record to these things...

My Lacie 80G worked fine, and I was even able to record to the 250G for a while but now I get "Can't allocate space for recording" messages (there's about 230Gigs free!)

It would be great if someone with some experience of these drives would pass comment.

Thanks so much!

Macs

----------------------------------------------------
Digi 001
G4 450
0S 9.2
Old 06-12-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Lacie 250Gig Firewire HD

Have you tried changing the disk allocation amount in Protools preferences? Instead of leaving it open ended, try chaning it to only 10 minutes or something.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:57 PM

Perhaps there could be a fix by formating the drive with larger block sizes. Typically HFS+ formats with 4K blocks. This was a problem with the old HFS format on big disks because there could only be 65535 allocation blocks on a disk, so they got big real quick. I can't see the options from the Disk Util app, but you can format it from the command line like this:

umount /Volumes/disk_name
newfs_hfs -v disk_name -b 32768 /dev/disk3s2
mount_hfs /dev/disk3s2 /Volumes/disk_name

32768 is the block size. Files will now be a multiple of 32k blocks. This will give you 8 times less allocation blocks than the
default setting.... try it is the only way to find out.

NOTE: you need to know which device your disk is (Probably NOT /dev/disk3s2!). To do this, use this command:

mount

It will print out a list of all the mounted volumes, and the corresponding devices.

Note also: You may need to be super-user to do it on firewire drives. I tested these commands on a disk image, and i didn't need to have super-user access. If you do, prepend "sudo" command before each line like this:

sudo umount /Volumes/disk_name
...etc...

Let me know if it works.
Matt
Old 06-13-2004, 09:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks Slim and Matt.

Slim, that was a good suggestion, but after saving my session copy to the 250G drive, it gave me "not on a valid audio drive" messages when I tried to open it.

And Matt, I don't really know enough about computers to follow your (probably excellent) advice, I'm afraid.

I think I'll just use "save session copy in" to archive to the 250 and use the space for new recordings.

Thank you for your help!

macs
Old 06-13-2004, 10:02 AM

Ah, well 'not a valid recording volume' is a little different than the allocation problem, although one could lead to another. Go into the ProTools workspace disk browser and set the 250gb drive to 'R' - right now it is probably not enabled for playback or recording. If that doesn't do it, then you've somehow formatted the drive using drivers other than the ones that come with OS X. If you installed any software that came with the drive, you need to uninstall it, and reformat the drive using apple's disk utility - most likely it's just set incorrectly in the workspace browser though.