Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-05-2001, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 6045 and the lack of support from digidesign

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's been 44.1K, not 48K (I made sure the ADAT recorded at the lower speed), but I doubt if the clock speed would matter THAT much.

It really matter THAT much!
...but, it looks like G4/400 works though.
Anyhow, you could test at 48 K if you have some time, Iwilliam, so you could confirm what Park are saying....
It may help us (who don't own a G4 yet...) to choose right computer.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:54 PM

Does anybody own a protools digi 001 rig which is in an powermac 9600 ??? (a computer which is still on the approved list) and does it work good ? no 6045 or 6042 errors or others.

just finding for possible solutions. curious if the slowest approved computer has got some errors.

meanwhile my `personality card` test in my beige g3 didn`t succeeded as it needs the card or else you get an error during startup.

the saga will continue and we must find solutions (not workarounds).
Old 10-05-2001, 08:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by yoursick studio:
did apple buy the OMS software ? or is it a new fully developed soft from apple. there was a rumour about buying OMS ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Apple web site:

"Performance
Mac OS X delivers the best audio performance in desktop computing. The most fundamental measure of audio performance is throughput latency. That’s the time it takes for audio to enter your Mac, travel through the system to your application and then pass back out to your monitoring system (speakers). Historically, Mac OS offered audio pros excellent latency of about 10ms.
The Core Audio HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) provides ultra low latency communication between applications and I/O devices that is measurably more efficient than previous solutions. M-Audio reports latency as low as 40 samples on Mac OS X from the company’s audio interfaces. That translates into 1ms throughput latency — and you get this performance in a full multi-channel environment.

Stereophonic and Multi-channel
Previously, the Mac OS 9 Sound Manager handled a mere 2-channel stereo mix — you needed to install third party system extensions to work with more. Mac OS X now offers support for multiple channels natively. This new architecture will enable such applications as home theater surround sound, recording with more than two microphones simultaneously and large-scale professional tape transfer in a single pass, with greatly improved performance.

The Core Audio HAL also allows multiple applications to share the same device, a feature new to Mac OS X. This means that you could assign channels one through six of a eight channel output device to a multi-track program, such as Logic, while leaving a virtual instrument like Reason with channels seven and eight.

High Fidelity
Mac OS X delivers today’s professional standard for audio resolution — 24-bit, 96 kHz. Core Audio manages all audio as 32-bit floating-point data. This allows your Mac to efficiently handle 24/96 as well as higher resolutions that may become common in the future. Core Audio also delivers highly optimized sample rate converters to allow programs that do not yet use this high-resolution format to provide data to Mac OS X without truncation.

MIDI
Previously, Mac OS required third party software to manage and control electronic musical instruments via MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). Mac OS X integrates MIDI Services into the operating system as well. These services provide applications with the ability to manage MIDI and define a system-wide MIDI configuration that is available to all of your applications. (This means no more OMS-Park)
In addition, Mac OS X provides applications with Music Services, which are the fundamental functions of MIDI sequencers including cut, copy, paste, repeat and other common MIDI editing routines.

Reverb-erb-erb
Working with digital audio lets you easily manipulate audio and add special effects without losing signal quality. It’s trivial to reverse a sample, or add simple reverb to make your music sound like it was recorded in a tunnel or a huge concert hall. Third party developers created a vast array of Digital Signal Processing (DSP) effects to apply to audio. In the absense of a system level plug-in architecture, pro audio vendors developed mutually incompatible methods of adding effects to their products.

Mac OS X Core Audio enables these developers to offer you audio plug-ins in a more centralized manner (called Audio Units), making it simpler for you to manage the audio capabilities you add to your setup. (And it doesn’t prevent developers from continuing to deliver their own solutions.) Apple includes several Audio Units in Mac OS X version 10.1, including a Velocity Engine-optimized reverb and a sample rate converter. Apple will release additional Audio Units in the future.
Audio Units handle incoming audio and deliver processed audio back to applications. Virtual Instruments receive MIDI and output audio. Mac OS X version 10.1 includes a Velocity Engine-optimized Virtual Instrument compatible with the industry standard DownLoadable Sounds (DLS) format. The Mac synthesizer provides applications with high quality, low latency sample playback as well as control for filters and envelopes.

Plug and Play
Mac OS X includes USB class drivers for connecting audio and MIDI devices to your Macintosh. Mac OS X will automagically recognize many devices — those that comply with the industry standard specification for MIDI and audio devices — when you plug them in. You don’t have to install extra software to use them."

The future looks very promising indeed. If I were Digi , I would put all my resources to an OS X version of Pro Tools now and not spend too much time on bug fixes to the old versions. If the rumors of the G5 chip are true along with the prmoises of X, things could get very interesting in the near future.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:06 AM

"It's been 44.1K, not 48K"

Well, that makes a difference, the bug generally happens at 48k (which makes it look more like a bug, and less like something that can be blamed on the hardware).

"Hey, I've got a suggestion. Let's take all the engineers that are working on OS X, 96k, Velocity Engine support and Firewire and put them working on the G3 machines..."

Maybe if Digi had done this, they wouldn't be having the SAME bug pop up again on newer machines.

Maybe if Digi had done this they wouldn't have a reputation for the worst hardware compatibility in the industry.

Frankly, I STILL think digi should fix this.

Mike
Old 10-08-2001, 10:49 AM

it`s not only 48Khz
if i use 48Khz without the ADAT switch on it works. Maybe once in awhile an error.
But 44.1kHz is also a pain in the....

i believe they should fix it or it will backfire on them with future developments !

i doubt we will ever see a bug free digidesign !
Old 10-08-2001, 02:00 PM

have any of you who experience this specific error tried using the 001 with something other than pro tools? does the 001 have problems when used with dp or cubase or something like that? just curious. i'm a beige g3 user and avoided the 001 for that particular reason, i have an AMIII instead and run ptle with 0 errors. i'm considering picking up another card/software package for tracking, and then importing into ptle for mixing.

sounds to me like DAE needs a re-write.
Old 10-08-2001, 03:11 PM

i use the 001 almost only with Studio Vision Pro 4.5 . i also have a g3 beige and i do get errors it`s not PTle software but the DAE (which is mostly the biggest problem that is giving errors - DAE).
i use SVP because of more audio tracks and vst effects. it is using the digidesign asio driver.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Park Seward:
On approved computers, the 001 works as advertised. If you use the system on a computer that is not approved, you do so at your own risk.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I generally agree with the second part of your post, I have proven the sweeping statement included within the first part of your post to be false.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:15 PM

If you want to talk about compatability, look at the 'known incompatabilities' for windows boxes.

* Hewlett Packard Pavillion line of computers
* AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers
* Original Pentium processor based computers (Pentium I)
* VIA chipset based motherboard computers
* Laptop Computers
* "ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller. This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System" Control Panel.

I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone but it really comes down to research.
I don't think there would be anyone on this board who would buy a mixer without doing a bit of work looking into all it's funtions and comparing brands.
The problem is that pro audio (and video) is so accessable now that people think that any old horse will do.

I have a G4 400 and i haven't (touch wood) had any probs so far, except for over allocating memory but that's separate!).

Digi probably does need to re-write DAE. And PT for that matter for the new range of macs.
But if buyers aren't going to check out what does work and what doesn't it's at their own peril.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but (fortunately) I havn't had the problems you mention.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:15 PM

If any product you buy doesn't perform as advertised, you should send it back and expect a full refund. It sure beats getting frustrated.

I've seen many different models perform properly in the DUC and I've seen the same models not work well. The only difference is the operator and the way the computer is used (extentions, applications and operating systems).

No software product will be totally bug free and never need updating. As new computers and operating systems are introduced, software sometimes needs to be updated to take advantage of new features. No company does that fast enough for some users.

If you have talked to technical support and they confirm the software doesn't work as it should, get your money back.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.