Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Avid HD not in sinc with API A2D

I have recently upgraded to an Avid HD 16X16 and have been using the A2D as the primary pre amp to record. I have used the digital output and the analog outs. The problem that I am having is that it does not sink to the external clock from the Avid HD. The little green light in the front is never lit.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Avid HD not in sinc with API A2D

You should delete the duplicate posting of this(DUC rules and all). Have to ask, which outputs are you currently using? If analog(which I would do if the HD 16x16 is analog), then the sync doesn't matter(not needed). If you are using digital, have you fed wordclock from the HD IO WC out to the API WC in? And is the API set for the same sample rate as the session?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM

The early A2Ds used a proprietary sync arrangement (super clock?) and did not have standard wordclock. A retro fit is needed on those units to use standard WC. FYI

You could run the 16X16 as a slave and lock to the incoming digital stream from the A2D.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 AM

I am trying to use the spdif out from the A2D into the HD, reason why I would like to sync it using word clock since in the A2D manual is stated to use it that way. My unit I guess is one of the first units, and it only has one out with the word sync. However, 5 years ago many hardware with digital features already had wordclock in/out connections.
I wrote API and a Tech responded my email, suggesting I was a total moron for not knowing how to use the unit. Always used the analog in/outs, and I wanted to test the API Analog to digital conversion on the unit, and compare to the HD conversion.
I always liked the API 312s going analog into the HD, since the conversion is great. I cannot say the same thing about the sound of the 312s coming out from the spdif of the A2D into the HD. My U87 sounded dull and bottomless. A Royer 121 was not as clear and crisp on acoustic guitar. Tried an AKG 414b and a 414 and both sounded muffled. So far, what I have tried is giving me proof that the AD conversion on this unit is not as good as I had expected to be. Trying the same mics with an 8-channel presonus pre using the adat out into the HD, sounded just as good.
I thought that API was going to provide some type of suggestion, a route to uplift the quality of the digital features on the unit. Instead, I got a tech assuming I am a moron, disrespecting me on everything I asked and stating that they could not attempt an upgrade since they do not have the right parts…?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 AM

That's strange. I've always had good support and service from API. The retrofit for WC is a daughter board that is plug n play. Email customer service and tell them about your experience.
The converters are not bad and the cool thing about using them is being able to drive the analogue side hard but trim down the converter side for that punchy thing. Great on kick and snare, electric guitars...
I use the AES out and locked to WC from Apogee AD16X.

Last edited by bcwiz; 03-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:33 AM

You probably have one of the newer units, which have a dedicated WC in/out since you are able to use word clock with your apogee. The one I have does not and I am only trying to remedy that problem. I feel that they should do a "Recall" and fix that problem. Just like companies promoting good business and who care about their product lines do.

The API person who responded to my email wrote:
"I'm sorry that you feel cheated but it sounds like the A2D you bought, does exactly what it purported to do. Furthermore, your unit can not be upgraded as we can no longer have the parts to perform that modification.

Best Regards,

Philip Cappelli
API Service Tech
8301 Patuxent Range Rd
Jessup, MD 20794"

Personally, I think that’s BS since they continue to manufacture the unit.

Last edited by Camilo Toledo; 03-15-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 AM

I have an older unit which was retro fitted with WC, however it was years ago.

Use the A2D AES out to 16x16 and sync the Avid box to the AES feed, use a 110 ohm digital cable
If you're using SPDIF be sure to use a 75 ohm coax cable
Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 AM

For the SPDIF connection from the A2D to the HD, I am using a 75 ohm coax cable, and it is supposed to be very good quality. For this five footer I paid about $25 bucks. The sync green light on the A2D never lits.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Toledo View Post
For the SPDIF connection from the A2D to the HD, I am using a 75 ohm coax cable, and it is supposed to be very good quality. For this five footer I paid about $25 bucks. The sync green light on the A2D never lits.
Sync light will not turn on until A2D is locked to external sync, forget about it.
Set your 16X16 to external sync via the incoming SPDIF line from the A2D, the API will be locked to it's own internal clock and 16X16 will sync to that.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 AM

I have two more pre amps, a UA 2610 and RN Portico 5024 that I am running analog to the HD, and with the API as I mentioned, I wanted to use the digital out and have two available inputs on the HD for another pre on the first 8 inputs.
On the other 8 inputs I am running the C24 preamps. The plan was to use the API on any of this 8 inputs and just change the I/O to spdif.
I guess I will continue to use the analog outs on the API.