Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Re: ASIO Drivers for Pro Tools 9 in win7 64bit DO NOT WORK

Just want to chime in and say I also have this issue. It really is worrying when little things like this do not work. It makes me wonder what else has been missed ? Or even more concerning , how much testing has gone into this ?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Well, as Bill Denton indicated, the problem is most likely due to Sony software using non-standard or proprietary protocols. In my book, they get the lowest grade for "Plays well with others." High marks in most other categories. But it doesn't surprise me one bit that their software doesn't like Avid drivers, while most others can at least be gotten to work with a little fiddling at worst.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM

There are a lot of us who share the Digi hardware with both Pro Tools and 3rd party apps and you would think Avid would want to know their driver works with all apps, not just one or two 3rd party ones.

While I can't speak for Avid, I think they have made it pretty clear that they have an interest is enabling PT 9 to work with major third-party hardware.

However, I haven't seen them express any interest in having their hardware work with third-party software. Doing so might be a nice bonus for Avid, but I don't think it is in any way a focus for the company...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM

The problem is not Sony, it is Avid's ASIO drivers. They are crap and need to be entirely re-coded from scratch.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 AM

I agree, the problem is not Sony. Adobe Audition also does not work with the drivers supplied for PTools 9.02 (Win 7 x64). ProTools is the only product I have ever used which has such flakey drivers. One version works and then the next doesn't. This points to a lack of testing. Digi/Avid has for a long time supplied drivers for their hardware (MBox 2) so that it could be used with other windows apps. I would not have bought the MBox 2 had this not been the case. I think it's Avid's responsibility to make sure their drivers work fully not just for their product. I can't think of another company in our domain that has this narrow view of the world.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM

True, but look here, they painted their self in a corner with the encryption layers between the hardware and software in the signal path. They did this originaly to keep everything nice and proprietary. The whole software package was designed to keep everyone else OUT. Now they've decided to be "Open", but the whole driver platform was designed to be exclusively closed.

And not to mention, they have yet to get the drivers to work with THEIR OWN HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE correctly.

So my guess is once they unpainted their self from the corner their in with their own products, then sony and others will be next.

However, considering that after PTLS7 everything fell the "F" off, it will not be in our foreseeable lifetimes.

I think that Avids movers and shakers forget one thing you cant under any circumstances, no matter the slick excuses and service dept delay tactics and protocols, do and that is un-ring the bell.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM

These same versions of Sony software have worked in prior versions of the Avid drivers.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM

I solved my problem and this may help others. I'm on Win 7/64

I had been using PTools 8.0.3 and Adobe Audition 3.0 with an MBox 2 and both PTools and Adobe Audition were fine. After upgrading to 9.0.2 Ptools worked fine but Audition did not see the Mbox and couldn't even see ASIO4ALL.
I went to the uninstall/repair for Audition and chose Repair. After the Repair was done. Audition works fine with MBox2 and Ptools 9.0.2 seems happy also. Now I can get back to work.

So ..... try re-installing or repairing the otherapps that don't work with PTools. I suspect that Avid's installer is trampling on something it should not (bull in a china shop!).

Hope this works for those having similar problems.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM

That's true
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio