Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Windows 7 / PT8.0.3 doesn't recognize internal hdd

I recently finished building a new Windows 7 64-bit quad-core pc for a friend, for use exclusively to run Pro Tools.

I followed the instructions for using the 64-bit Windows 7 beta drivers w/ 8.0.3 and MBox 2, and everything installed and operates perfectly -- with one caveat. Pro Tools does not recognize the Audio drive, a 1 TB Western Digital. Oddly, Windows 7 recognized the drive during installation and subsequently listed it among the drives available for use in the "Computer Management" utility -- but it did not partition or format the drive during installation. I had to do so manually after installation was complete. I set the volume name to "Audio" and assigned it drive letter A:. The drive now works normally in all circumstances except with Pro Tools. Attempting to create a new session, it says "Pro Tools does not support unmapped network volumes". The thing is, it in an internal drive not a network drive. The machine is not even connected to a network or the internet, and the Ethernet port is disabled in the BIOS. The A: drive also does not show up in the Pro Tools media browser (or whatever it's called -- the window where you can drag any of the stock loops to the timeline). As a test, I created a temporary session on the system drive (C:, a ~360 gb Western Digital) and everything works fine.

I had started Pro Tools up one time before I realized that Windows 7 had not yet made the audio drive operations. I read online that that could cause issues, so I completely uninstalled Pro Tools and installed from scratch again in case it was a property file issue or something, but it didn't change anything. Perhaps there is a Pro Tools property file somewhere that contains a list of valid drives that didn't get deleted during uninstall?

I'm running out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Windows 7 / PT8.0.3 doesn't recognize internal hdd

First assign a letter other than A, B, or C,. Then be sure you have formatted it NTFS "basic" and report back.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM

I don't know whats wrong ,but I would N-E-V-E-R assign the letter A: for a hard disk.In my opinion ,try changing the assigned letter with something more sensible, like G: or H: .
Also are you sure you have made a Primary partition on that disc ?and then properly formatted this partition ?
These are just my thoughts and suggestions ,I hope will help
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM

If there was an "embarrassed" smiley emoticon on this forums, you can bet I'd be using it right now.

The issue was just the drive letter. Ordinarily I would just let the OS select a letter, but I know my buddy is planning on adding another hard-drive later on and I wanted to ensure there were no "dynamically-assigned" drive letter conflicts when he does, so I just manually assigned A:. Not sure why that would freak it out, but it did. All is well after switching to G:.

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM

A: and B: drive letters are traditionally tied to floppy/removable volumes.