Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sorry to ask the dumb question, but why would someone even want to use LLM now that 64 buffer (and with some hardware 32 buffer) is a reality? Unnecessary restrictions that really don't fix any problem.

Off topic of course, but literally nobody uses LLM in real world and even fewer depend on it.
Because Avid sold this to us as working, and it's not. This was the reason I switched to HD Native with Avid I/O. I expect it to work as described in the manual, and it doesn't.

And, sorry, but your claim of using 64 samples buffer is complete nonsense. It will not work in a super heavy session halfway through the mixing process with some VIs playing and using e.g. UAD plugins. When you have to perform additional recording / overdubbing, you're screwed. This is the reality in which I'm finding myself every single day.

And your last comment, do you really mean that? That would be very worrying. And, if true, the best proof the LLM feature just doesn't work as people expect it to. Nonetheless, Avid should take responsibility there and either get rid of the feature altogether, or properly fix it. Or your last comment wil read as:

'Off topic of course, but literally nobody uses Pro Tools in real world and even fewer depend on it.'
Old 03-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
This is also what I'm asking myself. But so far no-one, including Avid support, has given me a clue towards resolution of my problems. And believe me, I went through hours, days, weeks, months and years of troubleshooting with them. It's agonising. I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps, even used other computers and OS installations. Everything.

Therefore, I'm also asking around in other threads whether anyone has actually ever gotten this to work at all. From what I'm reading I'm definitely not the only one with problems, but like you said, it would be interesting to hear of anyone that actually has it working on their system (talking specifically about LLM right now). Please step forward.
The most interesting (and the most tedious, unfortunately), would be to redo a new system, just audio pro, and if possible without internet, at least after the first installations. I did that and everything was fine, wonderfully. I was even blocking OS updates. What I closed in the evening was what I had the next morning. I abandoned this paradise afterwards, and the problems started again, but not major. I think that if the daily life, with PT, has become torture, we have to do this. The benefits are high and you free yourself from hell. The price to pay is to remain it on a fixed date in the evolution of the systems. But it allows you to work calmly. And if you do and do it again every year, spread over a week, you're not really behind on developments. Especially with Avid!
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-31-2020, 05:11 PM

People with all kinds of systems are having these problems. The forum consists of multitudes of these issues.
On other forums when someone says 'i have a problem' people give solutions.
On PT forum someone says 'X is not working'
Then the defenders of PT (no offence, just something i have noticed) jump in and blame the person, the persons system or says 'ah well, nobody needs that anyway'

Its honestly quite bizzare.

Or the idea that you have to put together a special computer that never sees the light of day and never update it unless everything falls apart.
Im only chiming in because i have not been around pro tools for ages and i can say - this is not normal.

Of course, disclaimer - i know its a brilliant program in so many ways. People are only upset because they want to use the system they love.
I will stop whining now.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:26 PM

Point to examples where this is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianBloom View Post
People with all kinds of systems are having these problems. The forum consists of multitudes of these issues.
On other forums when someone says 'i have a problem' people give solutions.
On PT forum someone says 'X is not working'
Then the defenders of PT (no offence, just something i have noticed) jump in and blame the person, the persons system or says 'ah well, nobody needs that anyway'
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
My theory: I already owned Pro Tools before the new support renewal license model, and I switched to the new model immediately. My support plan expiry date is March 30th, and I think the bulk of users must have that date as well (assuming most people who already owned a license at the time they introduced the new licensing model also got on board with the new system immediately).

So assuming that's right, it's gonna drop after March 30th - with the hope that people will either renew to make sure they get it, or that people will want to renew once it drops and they see the features.

And this pattern will repeat as long as there's a big cluster of people with a March 30th renewal date
Oh hey, look at that, 2020.3 dropped on March 31st
Old 04-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Oh hey, look at that, 2020.3 dropped on March 31st
Still on your grace period
Old 04-02-2020, 01:23 PM

Well you dont have to convince me, about 'fixed system' concept. But foldertracks and more i/o is starting to look juicy, now clip bins, and you've got a sale!!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Still on your grace period
Does that mean I should have it in my Avid account? Because I don't unfortunately.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Does that mean I should have it in my Avid account? Because I don't unfortunately.
Yes, you should see your products there with renewal options where applicable
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM

I'm pretty damn sure "grace period" means you have an extra 30 days to renew your plan, not that you get new updates for an extra 30 days. Would LOVE to be wrong though.