Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Apollo DSP usage when idle

When my Apollo is just plugged into the computer the DSP is at 17%. Is it always like this?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Apollo DSP usage when idle

Try opening the control panel, then the system tab I think it is. Turn off the blue button on the left. Now switch off the hardware. Leave for 10 secs, power on again. This should clear the DSP.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-17-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Try opening the control panel, then the system tab I think it is. Turn off the blue button on the left. Now switch off the hardware. Leave for 10 secs, power on again. This should clear the DSP.
Thanks, I'll try that out. Although the people at UA said that the Console software uses DSP to run.

Also, any plug-ins added in the Console app are just for recording to disk when tracking to the DAW, right?

My other question is about the +4/-10db option for the line inputs. You set this according to the cable type being used (balanced vs unbalanced), right?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-17-2015, 04:57 PM

All our 3 Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 interfaces displays a CPU. usage even when PTHD11 is closed, i sent a support ticket to UA and they said that the Console Software draws a little CPU from the Shark Processors and it was a normal thing to do so,

Regarding -10/+4 we always have the +4 on as thats the most used setting according to UA

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
All our 3 Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 interfaces displays a CPU. usage even when PTHD11 is closed, i sent a support ticket to UA and they said that the Console Software draws a little CPU from the Shark Processors and it was a normal thing to do so,

Regarding -10/+4 we always have the +4 on as thats the most used setting according to UA

Best Regards
Christopher
What are your thought regarding using the Apollo's with PT's verses working directly in a PTHD TDM rig?

What made you choose the Apollo's verses being the satellite version if using UA Plugins was the motivator?

What are your thought on the DA side of the unit?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
What are your thought regarding using the Apollo's with PT's verses working directly in a PTHD TDM rig?

What made you choose the Apollo's verses being the satellite version if using UA Plugins was the motivator?

What are your thought on the DA side of the unit?
We love the Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 in PTHD 11.
Love the DA and the Unison preamp stuff even though we use outboard when tracking for release sessions.

Works great

We have 2 Quad satellites aswell so we have 3 X 4 Shark Processors with UA now.

Also we use our HDX system when we have stemmed out all the audio tracks and traded in our old HD3 rig a while ago.

We have had good luck on all systems we have with UA and HDX so thats where we stand today

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Thanks, I'll try that out. Although the people at UA said that the Console software uses DSP to run.

Also, any plug-ins added in the Console app are just for recording to disk when tracking to the DAW, right?

My other question is about the +4/-10db option for the line inputs. You set this according to the cable type being used (balanced vs unbalanced), right?

Thanks,
Adam

'Fraid not...you set +4/-10 based on the levels of the equipment being connected.

While a lot of +4 gear does have balanced I/O, by no means is unbalanced I/O unusual in pro gear. And while I can't think of any names at the moment, there are a few-highly regarded equipment designers who would stuff a soldering iron some place where you really wouldn't want it to be if you tried to get them to use balanced I/O on their gear.

While I've never seen any -10 gear with balanced I/O, I assume it could be built.

So, if the connectors aren't marked on the panel, you'll need to check the manual(s)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM

Hey. I still have a question when using the console app w/ PT11 (I don't have HD). Is the only reason to add plugins in the console app to record the track w/ all the plugin chosen to the DAW drive. I.e once you record into pro tools w/ the plug-ins chosen in console, the console plugins are no longer editable and committed to the recorded track in PT, right? They talk about copying the plugins from console into PT. What's the point of this? Unless I'm wrong about the plugins in console being committed to the DAW once recorded.. I.e. once these plugins are recorded to the DAW they are set in stone?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Hey. I still have a question when using the console app w/ PT11 (I don't have HD). Is the only reason to add plugins in the console app to record the track w/ all the plugin chosen to the DAW drive. I.e once you record into pro tools w/ the plug-ins chosen in console, the console plugins are no longer editable and committed to the recorded track in PT, right? They talk about copying the plugins from console into PT. What's the point of this? Unless I'm wrong about the plugins in console being committed to the DAW once recorded.. I.e. once these plugins are recorded to the DAW they are set in stone?
Running plugins in the console gives you the ability to provide low-latency cue mixes back to talent via plugins. That is the most significant reason it is used, you can choose to record the dry or wet version of that signal into Pro Tools, or both. If you record the wet version in Pro Tools then it's just audio already processed by some external device, like with any such externally processed input you can't change that/undo the processing in Pro Tools. But if you have also tracked the dry signal then you can post-process that with the same of different UAD or other plugins. Sometimes it's better to just commit to input processing while tracking and get work done.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 PM

I can't wait for the new Console 2 from UA that has a crapload of new fantastic features inplemented and its free for everyone who has UA gear! Fantastic!

With the new console you will be able to choose on a track by track basis if ypu wanna commit or just monitor the Track/Tracks and thats a great new feature to have.

Check out the Fab Dupont videos from Namm and see the new GUI and new features. Looks superb!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————