Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Exclamation Just bought ProTools 8 with keyboard - can I set up my guitar to record??

I'll be honest, I've been having quite a few problems (of ignorance) with Pro Tools 8.

I am just getting use to it, but I can't seem to get anywhere when trying to set up my guitar.
I have a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite C665) running Windows 7, so I may need to download some drivers.

I play guitar, not necessarily keyboard (but I love music altogether), and I use to record with Audacity... Pro Tools is very different and more complex for me,

Software isn't exactly me strong point, so if you don't mind, please be clear and elaborate on each step.

My problems:
I don't know how to control the metronome - can it just be a single sounding click (rather than base and accent beeps)?
What do i do to start editing?
I only bought Pro Tools 8 with a keyboard, can I still record with my guitar?
If so, can I record from my amp directly into Pro Tools (with an auxiliary chord)?
Why does it ask for me to save before I am able to get to the recording screen?

Thanks a lot for your time! :)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Just bought ProTools 8 with keyboard - can I set up my guitar to record??

Pro Tools 8 requires a Digi/Avid interface. Windows 7 requires you update PT8 to 8.0.5. Did you buy from a dealer or a person? Its possible you were given some bad info. As for the basics of actually using Pro Tools, youtube will be your new best friend.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Just bought ProTools 8 with keyboard - can I set up my guitar to record??

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Pro Tools 8 requires a Digi/Avid interface. Windows 7 requires you update PT8 to 8.0.5. Did you buy from a dealer or a person? Its possible you were given some bad info. As for the basics of actually using Pro Tools, youtube will be your new best friend.
I bought from a proper website.

And dude, as I said, I'm no good with software. PT8 and 8.0.5 are just numbers and letters to me.
Could you link me somewhere?

All I need to know is simply how to begin recording guitar. I literally dont know what to click, how to set it up or if it's possible. When I open Pro Tools, there is a list of recording options (open session, keyboard, guitar, etc.). When I click Guitar, it asks me to save it (not sure why) to a folder. Once the recording screen opens, I cant record my guitar because I havnt and dont know how to set it up.... and it's beginning to frustrate me because I thought a program like this would be simpler and have less problems

Thanks for the reply
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranJoseph View Post
I bought from a proper website.

And dude, as I said, I'm no good with software. PT8 and 8.0.5 are just numbers and letters to me.
Could you link me somewhere?

All I need to know is simply how to begin recording guitar. I literally dont know what to click, how to set it up or if it's possible. When I open Pro Tools, there is a list of recording options (open session, keyboard, guitar, etc.). When I click Guitar, it asks me to save it (not sure why) to a folder. Once the recording screen opens, I cant record my guitar because I havnt and dont know how to set it up.... and it's beginning to frustrate me because I thought a program like this would be simpler and have less problems

Thanks for the reply
How do you connect your guitar to your laptop?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
How do you connect your guitar to your laptop?
I have my electric guitar plugged into an amp, from the amp I have an Auxiliary chord from the headphone jack of my amp into the mic jack of my laptop

This is what I did when recording with Audacity.

The problem is, I cant start Pro Tools without plugging in the Avid hardware (keyboard), and once I have the keyboard plugged in, I'm unable to get my guitar to work because it's only picking up motions from the keyboard

I am kind of surprised that no one has has similar problems, as I couldnt find any similar problems on google. I'm not a complete dumbass, this program is just REALLY vague for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Pro Tools 8 requires a Digi/Avid interface. Windows 7 requires you update PT8 to 8.0.5..
Im sorry, obviously PT8 is pro tools 8 and 8.0.5 is the newer version.... excuse my ignorance, I'm downloading it now :)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranJoseph View Post
Im sorry, obviously PT8 is pro tools 8 and 8.0.5 is the newer version.... excuse my ignorance, I'm downloading it now :)
As Albee said, Pro tools 8.x ONLY runs with an Avid or Digidesign interface.

How do you get it running without?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Is this a full version of PTLE 8.0 or the Pro Tools SE or Pro Tools Essentials Keyboard Studio?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
As Albee said, Pro tools 8.x ONLY runs with an Avid or Digidesign interface.

How do you get it running without?
I have an Avid interface
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Is this a full version of PTLE 8.0 or the Pro Tools SE or Pro Tools Essentials Keyboard Studio?
Pro Tools SE
version 8.0.3