Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 PM

Default overdubbed guitars.. phase issue.

heya guys, figured this be the best place to ask this.
i recently had to track a guitar, genre was rock, and it turned out pretty good.
However, when i doubled up the guitar to get that 'just kick me in the a**' sound, my phase meter went balistic.
The doubled up guitar was the same instrument, same amp setting, just a diffrent take. i had em panned hard left and right.
Now the tone is smashing, i'm real happy with it, but watching the phase meter on the wrong end of the scale worries me.
guess my question is this, should the phase between 2 diffrent takes be an issue? mono compatibility i suppose, but the guitars still sound pretty good when summed up, nuthings lackin.
just kept reading in here about phase relationships and stuff, so it really got me thinking about this...

help anyone? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

There are no carrots in carrot cake.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:58 PM

Default Re: overdubbed guitars.. phase issue.

Flip the phase on one of the tracks and hear if it sounds better. If it does, then it is better.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:14 PM

Mix the guitars in mono. This is why - Low mids in guitars seem to cause major phase issues. Experiment with different tones for each overdub. Even slightly. Or in your case, try EQ. Cut some low mids somewhere. It's gonna be a compromise because low mids in guitars is the meat.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:11 AM

similar situation with me. I was recording the bass guitar with signal coming from a direct box klark technique going through an Yamaha 02R and then to a PT track. Also, signal coming from the direct out of a Galien Kruger Bass head, going to an Yamaha 02R, being summed on this console and going as one signal to that samea track of PT. Sometimes, in some songs I had to invert the phase of one and in other songs not. It was the same bass, same bass player, same cables, etc. How can phase be like that? It was a 4 tring bass, passive. Thanks in advance!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 AM

Peetee-Are you flipping the phase on an analogue console? We use procontrol, different pre's, etc. No flip there (well, some of the pre's do) ..

^tripper^, what phase meter are you using?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:47 PM

Thanxs for the posts guys. I'm using Apogee's master tools phase meter. Its sorta moving towards the '-1' end of the scale more then i like..
I tried inverting the phase, it sounded really bad...'phasy'.. and the meter just went all the way to '-1' and stayed there... guess that didnt werk. heh.
EQing did help thou, i guess it was the lower mids screwing the phase up. the guitars sorta lost a wee bit of meat, but i brought the bass up to compensate, worked fine.
Anyways, the track is sounding pretty good, and i can sleep peacefully. (dont you just love it when it all falls into place?) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Once again, thanxs for all the help guys.

There are no carrots in carrot cake.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:03 PM

When you double something, you record in phase and out of phase information when summed together. That is what makes it sound neat.

A bunch of violins will produce a swishy sound as the instruments phase against each other.

A singer double tracked will also show the phase meter going crazy. You're ok.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:04 PM

Flip with the Trimmer plug-in.