Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

I do know that previously, the DV Toolkit to CPTK upgrade was able to be used by people who bought a DVTK licensed used. I know because I sold a DVTK license to someone who was able to do that.

If that helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Re: PT 10 + CPTK to PT11 HD = $999. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So shat is that "identical" you're talking about..?
What is identical is the software and the features. Users don't care about the path to getting that software, the fact is they have the same software as someone else and have to pay a lot more for the same upgrade. If Avid gave some people a deal and now feels like that was a mistake, they'd probably be best eating it instead of trying to make it back in a way that angers that whole group of customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There should just have been one and the only ProTools software that cost something like 2000usd (which has been roughly the price difference between HD2 minus HD1).
You mean just one version total? I mean they should have had two versions, PT and PTHD, instead of the third PT+TK, which is just another name for PTHD. Having a light version and a full version makes perfect sense, but before they had two full versions that were essentially the same. And now, instead they have a light version and a hardware only version.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
Edit - elsewhere it has been posted that CPTK1 has the same upgrade as 2, so that's some good news.
That is good news, but I've not seen that information. Would you be able to post a link?

Not wishing to doubt that your info isn't good (and I really hope you are correct!), but I've seen two posts by two different moderators saying that it's CPTK2 only.

If clarification has been given (and I'm meaning direct from AVID) then that's great... It's just that I've seen several contradictory answers on this specific point...

Be great to see something from the horses mouth.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM

I do not want to get drawn into the discussion regarding full or lesser version of PT, but I do strongly agree that if there are folks that have in the past paid top dollars for the TDM hardware, they should really deserve cheaper upgrades.

And this is the end of myself discussing this furhter.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM

I saw here and here. Hopefully something more official soon, but that looks promising.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=144

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=251
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM

The other side of this is:

Avid has never supported the purchase of HD software without hardware.

The CPTK was offered to unlock HD software features for non-HD users.

Avid has not promised that this CPTK product would never reach EOL, as most products eventually do.

As an act of support to those holding a CPTK license, Avid has waived the required HD hardware stipulation and allowed CPTK2 license holders to obtain HD11 licenses for a nominal fee of $999. Instead of the thousands of dollars everyone else must spend to purchase HD11 outright.

As to the difference in cost of an upgrade for current HD hardware owners vs. non-HD hardware owners... Well, the hardware owners have already paid the premium that the CPTK2 folks are now being asked to pay. The $400. difference is the price we pay for owning an HD license without HD hardware. This is a first and likely the last time this will ever happen. Pro Tools is returning to the model that worked well for many years... If you need HD features, purchase an HD system. CPTK2 holders are the lucky ones that can get around this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

I hope so, 'cause mine is used as well. I'm further hopeful that Avid will see the light of day and lower the crossgrade to $599, if only to stop the incessant squealing on the internet. I think it would be in their best interest.

Chris
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM

You are not being asked to spend more for a product you already own. You are being asked to spend more *if you want to upgrade. This is the way of the world. Until we fundamentally change our economy to a cashless system where everyones wants and needs are accommodated fully we will be expected to pay cash for progress. You have the option not to do that of course.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Thanks Tom, I feel so lucky that I'm allowed to spend more on a product that I've already spent more on (to get a CPTK license) so I can keep the features (note not quite the full HD feature set, never was...see solo/pfl bus handling) that I've already paid for.

Just in case it doesn't translate, the above was SARCASM - the lowest form of wit but where I feel comfortable.
Hi Darby,

You certainly have the right to feel unhappy about this development. No one enjoys these surprises. I'm simply trying to point to the other side of the debate. On one hand I wish all upgrades were free, but then there would be no AVID, so...

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
we will be expected to pay cash for progress
Lot of straw man arguing going on. The complaint isn't paying for an upgrade, the complaint is paying more than someone else who has the same software for the same upgrade. Avid has every right to tag on an "oops, we undercharged you" fee, but users have every right to be upset about it.