Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Stereo Aux vs Mono Aux and Turning that Mono into stereo via a stereo Plugin

Hello. I've got some questions...

What is the difference between sending, for example, a vocal sub-mix out via a stereo bus to a stereo Aux track with a reverb plug in, vs sending the sub-mix out via a mono bus to a mono aux track and turning that mono aux track into stereo by using a stereo plugin like a stereo reverb?

I see that on the send I will no longer have control over the way that the send is panned. Besides that, is that the only difference? (I am trying to save on buses, being that I am a limited LE user).

I am trying to also understand what the implications of choosing one over the other is. Can someone give me an example of why you would want to pan the send? What is the difference of panning the send vs just panning the Aux track that you are panning too?

Thanks...

Jesse

(maybe this is the wrong section of the forum. sorry. Feel free to move it admins...)
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Stereo Aux vs Mono Aux and Turning that Mono into stereo via a stereo Plugin

You have it straight. I use plenty of mono AUX sends and then make the mono return track turn stereo with the plugin. Where I stay with stereo on the send and AUX track are places where I need the stereo spread to stay intact(like drum bus compression). BTW, you can choose(in preferences) to have the stereo send pans follow the main or independent.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Stereo Aux vs Mono Aux and Turning that Mono into stereo via a stereo Plugin

For some reason I can't really understand the difference. Is the following true? (sorry if this seems like a dumb concept to not grasp). It doest seem quite right to me but someone can hopefully let me know..

If I send a stereo track out in mono, I think both channels get sent but they are both down the middle. Now when I pan the Aux track, both the left and right that were sent are being panned together. (if that is true, does that mean that both left and right channels can now actually be on both sides of the aux track??) If I send it out stereo, each stereo channel can be on whatever side of the Aux track, depending on how I pan?

Is it basically the rule of thumb that if I have a stereo track, and I want to send it to an Aux track for some reverb or something like that, that I should send it out stereo? The only reason this is even a concern is because I would prefer to use mono buses whenever possible as we LE users are limited...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM

actually what the plugins do in mono->stereo vs Stereo->Stereo should be your bigger concern. Most "stereo" plugins aren't true stereo, especially when it comes to verb. So you are better off, in some instances, using a mono->stereo plugin. If the verb isn't true stereo, it basically mixing the left and right together inside the plugin anyway. For example, altiverb has mono->stereo, stereo, and <stereo>Stereo. The first two are identical, the third is a "true stereo" where there is a different impulse response for the left and right sides and the inputs don't get crossed/summed at all. A lot of hardware reverb units are like this too. Older lexicons and TC units that have stereo ins aren't always discrete stereo throughout. Some patches might be, others might not be.

I always try to use mono busses and mono->stereo aux plugins whenever possible because it saves on resources and in most cases, it doesn't make a difference to the plugin. Actually, sometimes I'll use Mono plugins as well for certain things like a snare verb or a small ambience or short delay on a lead vocal.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM

When you use mono busses and mono->stereo aux plugins, you cannot pan each channel of the send. That doesn't matter? Sonically speaking, what difference would it make if it was a stereo send and you were able to pan it? (I've tried testing this but can't really put my finger on it). (I tend to get hung up on these little, or no so little decisions when mixing).
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseF View Post
When you use mono busses and mono->stereo aux plugins, you cannot pan each channel of the send. That doesn't matter? Sonically speaking, what difference would it make if it was a stereo send and you were able to pan it? (I've tried testing this but can't really put my finger on it). (I tend to get hung up on these little, or no so little decisions when mixing).
Try sending a stereo send from a mono track, to a aux with a "dual mono" verb (true stereo w/any plugin) on it. You can pan the dry signal one way and its reverb to the other.

And that, independently on many tracks, using just the one reverb return.

I experimented alot with this once. Didn't find any real use for it, really. I thought I might be able to simulate real space and reflections in "3D".

But there are great creative possibilities when you start using delay and other kinds of effects.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 02-10-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added acouple of thoughts.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 PM

In most cases, you would use a stereo reverb, which provides a fuller, unifying sound. You would pan your individual mono audio tracks where you want, and use aux sends to the stereo reverb.

However, you can do some interesting effects using a mono reverb on a mono aux send that can be panned where you want.

For example, you could pan a guitar over toward the left, and pan the mono reverb the track is being sent to over toward the right. This can give an interesting sense of space. Works well with delay, also.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
In most cases, you would use a stereo reverb, which provides a fuller, unifying sound. You would pan your individual mono audio tracks where you want, and use aux sends to the stereo reverb.
Just a reminder; it's easy to forget: Whenever you instantiate a plugin on a stereo track you have the choice to make it either stereo or DUAL MONO.

A dual mono reverb can even have slightly different settings on each side, which makes an even fuller effect.

AND, the point of my previous post: that any track sending to a aux with a dual mono effect on it can pan ITS SEND! So one instrument can be panned left and its reverb right, and another intrument be panned right with its reverb left. And this with as many tracks you want, all on the one dual mono reverb.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Disappointing.

I conclude that everybody knows about sending a stereo bus to a aux w/a dual mono plugin lets you pan your send and its no big deal...

or...

nobody even bothered to even try it and they are happy in their ignorance.

your loss
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Disappointing.

I conclude that everybody knows about sending a stereo bus to a aux w/a dual mono plugin lets you pan your send and its no big deal...

or...

nobody even bothered to even try it and they are happy in their ignorance.

your loss
I have to admit that I have never used or even tried this.
Yet.
It sounds promising. At least very interesting.

-matts