Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Re: 7.1 Monitoring Controller & Beyond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
FYI most of the add cards for the MTRX are around 2 grand. So you are going to hit 10k really fast.
I might buy one 8ch A/D card for some old gear, but otherwise I'm going all Dante in the new room. You can't beat the flexibility and low cost implementation is a bonus. Dante Virtual Soundcard for other software running on the Mac and PC. I'm already running a big Cisco switch for my server, dedicated VR PC, etc. I can network direct to the B-chain. CAT-5e everywhere.

The future is now
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 01-14-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
I might buy one 8ch A/D card for some old gear, but otherwise I'm going all Dante in the new room. You can't beat the flexibility and low cost implementation is a bonus. Dante Virtual Soundcard for other software running on the Mac and PC. I'm already running a big Cisco switch for my server, dedicated VR PC, etc. I can network direct to the B-chain. CAT-5e everywhere.

The future is now
You only get 32 out of pt with danta and you can't us a sync hd or satellite anything or us machine control. I don't think Dolby atmos is even possible with pro tools and danta. Don't you need 128 outs for atmos?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
You only get 32 out of pt with danta and you can't us a sync hd or satellite anything or us machine control. I don't think Dolby atmos is even possible with pro tools and danta. Don't you need 128 outs for atmos?
The MTRX has two primary Digilink ports, so it gets 64ch from PT in one box.

Technically, Dante isn't involved with Atmos. The Atmos RMU is (at this time) only designed to work with MADI. So for doing actual authoring with the RMU, MADI is used to feed changes from the MTRX to/from the RMU. Dolby technically requires 128 channels, and the MTRX dual primary Digilink only allows for 64 channels. So that is an issue. But it's a silly requirement. Unless you are mixing the new Transformers movie, you aren't going to get close to using up all those object tracks. (I'll probably look back at that statement in 5 years and laugh at myself). But if your room is just for mixing, and you plan to author with the RMU in a different room, the Local Renderer software is used to simulate the RMU. In that case, physical MADI outputs aren't ever needed.

In either situation (the RMU or the Local Renderer), they do the encoding then output a channel-based audio signal for monitoring. Either the RMU encodes and feeds via MADI back into the MTRX, then out Dante to amps/speakers, or the Local Renderer feeds the encoded signal back into Pro Tools, then out to the MTRX Dante to the b-chain. After encoding, we're only talking about sending the number of channels specific to your room configuration. So the number of channels is dependent on your room. The Local Render has the ability to output 9.1 up to 15.1. So you don't need 128 channels to monitor an Atmos mix. You don't even need close to 64. So 64 channels of Dante is plenty.

The MTRX has word clock i/o, so not sure why you said it can't be used with a SyncHD. I don't see why it couldn't. Have you heard something?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Technically, Dante isn't involved with Atmos. The Atmos RMU is (at this time) only designed to work with MADI. So for doing actual authoring with the RMU, MADI is used to feed changes from the MTRX to/from the RMU. Dolby technically requires 128 channels, and the MTRX dual primary Digilink only allows for 64 channels. So that is an issue. But it's a silly requirement. Unless you are mixing the new Transformers movie, you aren't going to get close to using up all those object tracks. (I'll probably look back at that statement in 5 years and laugh at myself). But if your room is just for mixing, and you plan to author with the RMU in a different room, the Local Renderer software is used to simulate the RMU. In that case, physical MADI outputs aren't ever needed.

In either situation (the RMU or the Local Renderer), they do the encoding then output a channel-based audio signal for monitoring. Either the RMU encodes and feeds via MADI back into the MTRX, then out Dante to amps/speakers, or the Local Renderer feeds the encoded signal back into Pro Tools, then out to the MTRX Dante to the b-chain. After encoding, we're only talking about sending the number of channels specific to your room configuration. So the number of channels is dependent on your room. The Local Render has the ability to output 9.1 up to 15.1. So you don't need 128 channels to monitor an Atmos mix. You don't even need close to 64. So 64 channels of Dante is plenty.

The MTRX has word clock i/o, so not sure why you said it can't be used with a SyncHD. I don't see why it couldn't. Have you heard something?
I thought you said you wanted to us data virtual sound card not the HD native card. Sorry about the last.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I thought you said you wanted to us data virtual sound card not the HD native card. Sorry about the last.
Oh, I see. I will use Dante Virtual Sound Card, but only as output on my Mac and Pc for system soundsa and apps like RX (anything non-PT).
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Gentlemen, we're some time further (almost a year now), and the Yamaha MMP-1 has arrived! A multichannel monitor controller with room EQ, delay and level. And... Dante! I had a testrun last week with it, and I love the matrix! Especially compared to the DAD-man software. So here's a great new box to the equation..
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM

The Yamaha MMP-1 does look good.
Did you do a room EQ with it Janus?
If so, how does it sound?

The JBL Intonato also looks pretty interesting, especially in a setup with the 7 series monitors. I haven't heard them yet, but the fact they have a mini compression driver bodes well for scaled down 'Theatrical' type performance.

I still have the Trinnov MC and although I get very good translation using it, its a bit of a love/hate relationship.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I have 128 channels of Dante. It works for what I do and use every channel of it.64 does get eaten up fast for any Theatrical mixing with the Dolby RMU. For Home Atmos that another story. Word Clock is fed to all the system even with the Dante.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post

The JBL Intonato also looks pretty interesting, especially in a setup with the 7 series monitors. I haven't heard them yet, but the fact they have a mini compression driver bodes well for scaled down 'Theatrical' type performance.

I still have the Trinnov MC and although I get very good translation using it, its a bit of a love/hate relationship.
For smaller rooms the JBL Intonato and the Yamaha MMP-1 are the ticket.
Both very nice boxes that will upgrade nearly any room they go in for the vast majority of people here on the DUC.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Just building my "home studio" here. I had the MMP-1 just for 3 days, but my Meyer Designers were not yet fully installed so a room EQ I didn't do. (Although I want to correct my room acoustically instead of electronically). But loving the matrix and overall user interface! I heard it sounds great, and bad DA converters are rare these days ;-)