How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2020, 10:53 PM

Default Recording audio on PT via Zoom

Hi all,

I’m looking to record a discussion on Zoom into PT 2020.

I have an aggregate - “Studio” - of S3, Komplete 6 and 2i2. I’ve done remote audio OUT for a few ADR sessions; I can route Zoom audio to the S3, selecting Studio - and get it in my headphones. I can get my mic out TO the Zoom session (I select Komplete as the source in Zoom).

As the Zoom OUT is coming in straight to S3 Master LR, I’m at a loss as to how to record it. I imagine it’s staring me in the face, but I can’t see it.

Any thoughts? I have SourceConnect Nexus, but I’m not sure how that will help. Good to learn new lockdown skills! There is a good manual on Zoom & PT, but it doesn’t go into recording on the DAW, just playback from it.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Recording audio on PT via Zoom

I guess you could do this through hardware in your S3, however on a Mac, you could also route the system audio internally using tools from rogueamoeba.com

I use Piezo routinely but haven’t tested it with Zoom specifically. However their range includes Loopback which offers far more sophisticated routing similar to what one used to be able to do for free with Soundflower (may still be a viable option on an older OS).
Old 05-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Recording audio on PT via Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugi View Post
HI have SourceConnect Nexus, but I’m not sure how that will help.
Nexus is the BEST way to do it, and I've done it several times. Typically, for some sessions, I'm only doing editing but the client wants to 'listen' in real time, as well as 'talk' to me while I'm doing the edit.

SourceConnect Nexus allows me to setup an output path that Zoom sees, as well as a return path so I can hear the 'talking head' on the other end.

You have to really THINK about I/O routing in your mixer. If you've ever worked on a real mix desk and had to think about routing options, it'll make sense. If not, contact me and I'll send you a session template to look at.