Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-04-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Dumb Question About DSP Tracking..

So currently, I'm using a Steinberg interface (spend a lot of time in Cubase but maybe returning to PT)....I have a Fractal FM3 connected via SPDIF/ADAT and when I record I have to mute the track, and monitor from the Steinberg software to avoid latency.

In Carbon would I just put the track in DSP Mode or something to avoid latency?

Thx
Tom
Old 04-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Dumb Question About DSP Tracking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
So currently, I'm using a Steinberg interface (spend a lot of time in Cubase but maybe returning to PT)....I have a Fractal FM3 connected via SPDIF/ADAT and when I record I have to mute the track, and monitor from the Steinberg software to avoid latency.

In Carbon would I just put the track in DSP Mode or something to avoid latency?

Thx
Tom
Tom I am not 100% sure I understand exactly what you are asking.

But if you are talking about using the Fractal directly into the Carbon?
Me (depending on what the levels Fractal is actually outputting on it's various connections) I would probably opt for an analog connection from FM 3 to Carbon in which case ,,,,Yes just put that track your inputing from the FM3 into DSP mode to record with no latency
BTW The Carbon does not have any SPIF I/O connections, only analog and ADAT

Tom in case I did not answer your question or for future reference here is the link where to get the Carbon Guide PDF

Scroll down to second link under Documentation

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...#documentation

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:32 PM

You also have the option of using the Fractal itself as an interface via its usb port. You may want to try that as well to see what the latency is like. Since in that case it's not going through an extra step of d/a conversion, you may want to compare that vs. going analog out into the Carbon in dsp mode.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You also have the option of using the Fractal itself as an interface via its usb port. You may want to try that as well to see what the latency is like. Since in that case it's not going through an extra step of d/a conversion, you may want to compare that vs. going analog out into the Carbon in dsp mode.
Well that's a thought. I am not sure how much more time that would actually entail But I had spaced out about the Fractal having to do a A/D -- process ---then an D/A to get the signal back to the analog outs.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-08-2021, 02:47 PM

Tom,

Carbon’s DSP is to process your plugins on the carbon hardware, which takes the load off of your computer and in essence allows you to track, with plugins more efficiently.

In your scenario, your FM3 is the guitar/fx processor, which is running directly into your interface. I would guess that you are not running additional plugins on the track, so no, you will not gain any performance from the DSP on Carbon.

Carbon is an AVB interface, which in itself has very low latency. So, if your Steinberg interface is USB, then moving to Carbon would probably allow you to track in real time with your FM3 running into an analog input. And, if you do run additional fx on your guitar track, while recording, then yes, offloading those additional fx to Carbon’s DSP would allow you to still track in real time.

System Details
Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 PM

The Steinberg is Thunderbolt (they make a USB as well).

It's been great. It sounds phenomenal. But again, it's another mixer layer and I'm so intrigued at the idea of an HDX "light" for my own person use.

I get drums sent to me, recorded elsewhere, as well as 90 per cent of the vocals on projects That leaves me to do the VI tracking, and all guitars, with the occasional vocal. Then I mix it all.

So Carbon sounds like it was made for guys like myself.

I think the only dumb question I have left is....what happens if I use a UAD plug in like the LA-2A or whatever on the channel I'm recording a vocal on...(I have a UAD satellite) .....does it automatically get bypassed...or...?

Thanks much
Tom
Old 04-09-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
The Steinberg is Thunderbolt (they make a USB as well).

It's been great. It sounds phenomenal. But again, it's another mixer layer and I'm so intrigued at the idea of an HDX "light" for my own person use.

I get drums sent to me, recorded elsewhere, as well as 90 per cent of the vocals on projects That leaves me to do the VI tracking, and all guitars, with the occasional vocal. Then I mix it all.

So Carbon sounds like it was made for guys like myself.

I think the only dumb question I have left is....what happens if I use a UAD plug in like the LA-2A or whatever on the channel I'm recording a vocal on...(I have a UAD satellite) .....does it automatically get bypassed...or...?

Thanks much
Tom
Yes, native AAX plug-ins will be bypassed when you put the track in DSP mode. I stick with AAX DSP capable plug-ins until the mixing stage, just picked up Summit's TLA100A/Grand Channel for a nice monitoring opto during tracking,
Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
Yes, native AAX plug-ins will be bypassed when you put the track in DSP mode. I stick with AAX DSP capable plug-ins until the mixing stage, just picked up Summit's TLA100A/Grand Channel for a nice monitoring opto during tracking,
But UAD is not a native AAX plug in, and since it's DSP is coming from the UAD card, I wondered if it would still work.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
But UAD is not a native AAX plug in, and since it's DSP is coming from the UAD card, I wondered if it would still work.
UAD plugins are seen by PT as native AAX. They're DSP powered, but they're not AAX DSP.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
UAD plugins are seen by PT as native AAX. They're DSP powered, but they're not AAX DSP.
Yes and if you want to use a native plugin with the hybrid engine kicked in, you'll have to either make that track DSP SAFE, which kind of makes no sense if you are tracking to it OR you can send to a track with your UA plug on it and monitor it while tracking (in DSP SAFE). then simply copy or move that plugin to the track that you want.

I don't know if I made that clear, but I've done it several times. It works well, but I tend to stick with AAX DSP plugs anymore also.

your mileage may vary

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |