Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Polyrhythmic metronomes

Hi,
I'm trying to separate metronomes for each track on pro tools first. eg one track is in 4/4 time at 120 bpm, another track is in 7/8 at 70 bpm. My compositions have many polyrhythms for each individual track, but every time i change the tempo and time signature of one track, it also changes the other tracks. How can i create a separate click track and time signature for each individual track?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Polyrhythmic metronomes

Do you mean the metronome or the time signature for each track? Either way seems impossible at least First. You have to set up the metronome for one track, record, set up again for the next track, record the second track etc the same way you would have to do if you were recording the same project live, you can't have a different metronome for each musician. Another way would be to print the metronomes with the different time signatures to audio tracks and move them next to the respective tracks.

Maybe the guys from post have a better idea.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your reply
It's both the metronome and time signature for each track. If i would be recording live, each musician would have separate click tracks in their headphones. I tried setting up the metronome for one track, record, and set up again for next track but that doesn't work. It always changes the tempo/speed of all the previous tracks I've already recorded to the same metronome tempo/speed as the last track I record. ( its all vocal tracks for now )
How would i print the metronomes with different time signatures to audio tracks and move them?
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:36 PM

You can't have multiple metronomes in Pro Tools. You get one meter track and one tempo track. That's true for all Pro Tools versions.

What you can do is make multiple click tracks. On the click plugin insert, un-highlight "follow meter" and then using the setup there, attempt to subdivide from the session tempo/meter. It will be kludgy. There are probably more advanced metronome plugins but looking at the Avid store, nothing pops up immediately as a good solution and you are limited to those as a Pro Tools First user.

There are other DAWs much better at advanced metronomes though I'm not sure there are any that can do both a tempo and meter change for different tracks over the same time (though you can set up just an audible track that clicks in different tempos/meters like any physical metronome.)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately i tried un-highlighting the "follow meter" but it still doesn't work. I would understand if it changes the speed of midi tracks once they've already been recorded, but in this case it also changes the speed of vocal/instrument tracks once they've already been recorded. I've never had this problem with other programs before. Once the vocal track was recorded, you couldn't then go back and change the speed of the vocals, and i could always separate the different metronomes for each individual track to achieve my polyrhythmic effect. I'm just going to have to use another program then.
Thanks for trying to help anyway, much appreciated :)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM

Change the “base” of the Audio track. There is timebase and tickbase. You’ll see a little clock or metronome on each track. That determines how things follow the conductor track (tempo)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 PM

I changed the metronome tickbase to samples and then auto off and it worked!
Thank you very much!
Is it possible to apply Xpand2 effects on vocals?
If not, are there any free vocal plugins for pro tools first that have strange and interesting effects for vocals?, the same effects you'd apply to instruments?
Thanks!