Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 AM

Default WEIGH IN DIGI? "Save copy in..." function copies files cleared from session.

I don't know if it's related to PT 8, but since updating the following is occurring. Previously, when making a final copy I will eliminate all the files I don't need in the session by selecting all "unused" files and then clearing them from the session. Then I select "Save copy in.." and checking the box to copy all files. I ended up with a copy with only the files that appear in the session and those files would be the only files in the Audio Files folder.

Now when I perform the same steps in PT 8, the copy I make contains some of the files that I cleared from the original session in the Audio Files folder. When I open the copied session, those files are not visible in the session and are not seen listed in the bin, yet they are in the Audio Files folder. If I trash those unseen files by removing them from the Audio Files folder, the session opens with the message that those files are missing from the session in spite of never appearing in the bin.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Last edited by ragbor; 02-10-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Attempting to get feedback about this from admin.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Default Re: "Save copy in..." function copies files that have been cleared from session.

I've seen complaints about this for some time now. If you do a search you'll probably find it.

It may be related to this issue:

Clearing unused regions doesn't clear all unused regions in the session. You can reproduce the problem by clearing unused regions and playlists, then select all regions in the timeline. You will see that not all the regions in the regions list get selected.

This has been happening for quite some time now.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Re: "Save copy in..." function copies files that have been cleared from session.

This looks like a bug that has been around quite a while.

Have a look at this thread and this one.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM

This may or may not be related but:

Ive noticed that if I have a bunch of stereo tracks, .L .R, in the bin, and they are within the triangle pull down (meaning the bin shows the file as one file, but if you expand the triangle, it shows each .L and .R file).

Now say I am only using the .L file in my session and not the .R. If the triangle is NOT expanded (this is in PT7.3) and I do a " delete unused " it will not delete the unused .R file. Only when you expand all the stereo files in the bin will it select those and delete them.

So, if the triangle is not expanded, it will not remove them. Then I do a save session copy in.. and if I remove the .R files I didnt need from the audio files folder, I get the msg that files are missing, but I cant see them grayed out in the bin right away, since the triangle is not expanded. But when I do expand it, ah, I see the grayed out missing files.

This whole reply is probably off topic, but by any chance are the files you are having a problem with NOT being removed part of a stereo .L .R pair?

In any case I find it annoying that the only way for Protools to delete one side of a stereo file in the bin is if you expand all the triangles. If you dont, and still truly are not using one side of the file, PT wont remove it.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I much appreciate everyone's input!

I did search previous to posting and thanks, c-tone, for the links to threads. It seems there are similarities to my particular issue, but in my case I am never deleting regions, only clearing them from the session when I want to save a copy in another location with only the visible files. (I need to keep all the original files I've done in the original session in case I need to go back in for more work.) I have nothing hiding in playlists and re: Mt. Everest, it's not related to stereo pairs. It happens with mono, stereo and 5.1 files. It consistently clears all unused, unseen files in the session from the Regions list when I select them on the first try and leaves only the visible files listed. But whole, unedited files now gone from the Regions list still get copied to the new, cleared-of-unused-regions copy.

Note as I mentioned, the files that remain in the copy in spite of being cleared are WHOLE, unedited files only. The hundreds of files I created by editing DO get consistently cleared from the new copy. I tried adding "show audio created files" in the Regions list prefs but nothing changed.

Digi, is it indeed a bug?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM

I've found that to effectively clear the region list is nearly impossible. But for sure, when you DO clear it, try it about 3 or 4 times in a row. Very often you can clear unused, and then do it again, and find MORE files to clear. When it stops finding files, it's about as good as PT is going to get.

But even then I never can say with any certainty that it's cleared.

I have no idea if this bug is supposedly fixed in 8.03, maybe Digi can chime in.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM

TimNielsen - I'm using 8.03 and have had the problem since 8.0. It did not occur in PT7.

If I understand you correctly, after an initial unused files clearing, you are still seeing unused files in the Regions list? In my case, it stops finding unused files after the very first 'clear.' The only remaining files are visible in the session. There are no unused, unseen files to select and clear after that first time, yet they remain in the Audio Files folder.

And when those whole files are taken out of the Audio Files folder and trashed, they come up as missing when the session opens, even though they were never in the Regions list of the new copy.

Digi?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Weight in DIGI? RE: "Save copy in" function copies files prev. cleared from session.

I would be grateful to hear from Digi regarding this.