Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Default No Midi into Software Instrument: HELP!

Hi All,
I am mid session with a deadline and as I create an instrument track, for software plugin synth, I'm am no longer able to play and record it using my controller keyboard over midi. Midi tracks are working fine - recording and play back over midi tracks.
I have tried changing controller k/board, checked all connections. It was working fine, just a few days ago, no significant changes I can think of.
I'm using OSX 10.5.2
Macbook 2.16 GHz
MBox 2
PTLE 7.4

This is my simple overdub set up before going to HD3 but I need the s/w synths to play to write parts.

TIA

Regards,
Anthony
Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Re: No Midi into Software Instrument: HELP!

When you say your midi tracks are working fine, are they not connected to soft synths on aux tracks? If they are recording and playing back, as you say, then your controller and connections are fine.

Go to 'View' menu then select 'Mix Window' and make sure 'Instruments' is selected. When you've done this you will see the midi output at the top of the Instrument track in the Mix window - make sure you have assigned a midi output to the track.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi Midi S,
Basically, if I create a midi track, PTLE will record midi, play back a midi track through a real hardware synth, no problem. If I create an instrument track in the usual way, open a softsynth on that track, it will no longer play being triggered and controlled over midi by my master controller keyboard. I do have instruments view on in the mix window, but that isn't necessary in my experience to just work?

Funny thing is, if I go back in time to a song where I know if did work, in that session I can create a new instrument track, and it DOES work again! I think sessions from HD 3 set ups are somehow messing up my midi inputs on instrument tracks.

Thanks for your input, if you have any other ideas, feel free, it's driving me crazy!!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM

If you're keyboard/controller is sending midi on all channels, then highlighting whichever track(name) you want to trigger (Midi/Instrument) tells PT where to direct the data. Works for me.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
If you're keyboard/controller is sending midi on all channels, then highlighting whichever track(name) you want to trigger (Midi/Instrument) tells PT where to direct the data. Works for me.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
I know it usually works that way, but it isn't working anymore like that!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Assign a midi output channel for your soft synth on the Instrument track. Check your audio input on the Instrument track - 'no input' might need to be assigned for the soft synth to play, e.g. Analog 1-2.