Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Default Re: PT Won't boot up due to FW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Perhaps there is an “easy fix” - by uninstalling then reinstalling the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.6.6 for Win (64-bit)

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support...ver_win64.html
Yeah, I did that, John. No joy. I don't think its the driver that's the issue. I think its Win-10 problem that has something to do with the Windows installer function.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, things I would try:
1-System restore back to when the old FW driver was in use.
2-Ask Yamaha for a link to the old driver and explain what happened(maybe you're not the only one with the issue).
3-Connect the keyboard via midi cables.
Hi Dave. Thanks. However:

1 - The older FW driver would go back to nearly a year or more ago. Plus, its been working fine on the latest version for all that time. Which leads me to believe it isn't a driver problem.

2 - I have all the older drivers already. I checked the Yamaha forums, and no one has this issue with the driver.

3 - Had the same issue switching to USB Midi from the FW -- so....

...that leads me to think it really is an issue with the Win 10 installer function. I just don't know how to fix or check that, though.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Noticed you'd fixed this AUG 10 17 with the Windows 8 / 8.1 Legacy driver
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/f...thread/479101/

... but it's playing up again.

According to:
https://www.studio1productions.com/A...Firewire-1.htm
"NOTE: We have noticed that when Microsoft has issued certain updates, it can cause Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 to switch back to use the original 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller driver. If you notice the FireWire device is transferring slowly or not working, then just repeat the above steps and reinstall the Legacy driver."

See here about reinstalling, then updating via Device Manager - choose Generic1394 OHCI compliant host controller (Legacy)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-8-1-or-w
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 02-09-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: If this fails to fix the issue, please try albee1952/Dave's suggestions.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Well - the good news, the problem is solved. The bad news is, I have no idea why! I had assumed the hang up was the FW driver because that's what the screen said it was trying to install, initially. After I uninstalled and reinstalled the FW driver and it kept happening, I assumed it was still trying to install the FW driver. The problem was the alert windows went by so fast all I could see was "Yamaha-Stenberg" followed by the "Preparing to install window".

Then, I tried again and watched really closely and saw it said "Yamaha-Steinberg USB driver", which made zero sense because A)I'm not using the USB driver nor the USB MIDI connection for anything - heck I don't even have a USB cable connected from my MIDI controller to the PC; and B)the USB driver is installed and working.

Anyway, I just uninstalled and reinstalled it and - like magic - everything worked. I have no explanation as to why Reason and PT were even looking for the USB connection when both are set up for the FW connection.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone.

And in case you're wondering...I still have my hair!

Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well - the good news, the problem is solved ... I just uninstalled and reinstalled it and - like magic - everything worked.
Great news!

Before you run out & buy a Lottery ticket to celebrate:
clone your drive, so you've got an immediate fix, if things go wrong in the future.

Can you no longer set Windows Update (I'm on Win7) to advise when there's an Update - but let you choose when to install it?
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Belt’n’braces people like me might also keep a copy of the USB driver:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...sb_driver.html

December 28, 2017
Windows
Windows 7 SP1 • Windows 8.1 • Windows 10
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.0 • 9.3 MB
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Belt’n’braces people like me might also keep a copy of the USB driver:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...sb_driver.html

December 28, 2017
Windows
Windows 7 SP1 • Windows 8.1 • Windows 10
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.0 • 9.3 MB
Yes, I've got all that, of course. What was different this time from last is that last time the PC wouldn't even recognize the FW or USB connections. This time it was. I could use the Motif Editor with either, so I knew the PC was talking to the Motif and vice-versa. It was that PT and Reason were trying to load the USB driver for some reason that I don't get. In any event, it is fixed. Yes, I can still tell Win-10 when to update and when to buzz off!

I wish that Microsoft would realize that one size fits all with the OS no longer works. They need to come out with different versions of the OS pre-optimized for various applications. ie, one for business applications, one for audio/video production, one for graphic design, etc etc. It can't be THAT hard to do. Sit down with tech experts and users from the different areas, find out what the requirements are, and then optimize accordingly. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Turn OFF Windows Updates. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Turn OFF Windows Updates. :)
Offline authorizations are nearly always possible, even though they are both tedious and time-consuming.
By all means, turn off Windows Update if you never put your music computer online and use a 2nd computer to download the latest version of Pro Tools from your Avid account, visit iLok License Manager, or purchase and activate new 3rd Party products, or do your Banking, etc.
I use Acronis True Image to create bootable media before a Windows Update, even though Windows, while preparing to install updates, creates a restore point.
You can select the updates you want to install – you have the option to ”Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” by going to Windows Update>Change settings>Important updates.
I recommend installing all Important Updates. They include Security Monthly Quality Rollups and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Don’t expect Ransomware and other Nasties to stop – the tools to avoid them require constant updating.
The free SUPERAntiSpyware is quick’n easy – even it has daily updates.

If you run CCleaner after every time you’ve been online, it’s easy-PC.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM

If you're using Acronis, why not turn off System Restore? If you do, you may have to check it after Windows updates. Saves a bit on resources when turned off.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction