Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 AM

Default Re: 11R SPDIF to MBox 3 Clock Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
Exactly. I'm glad you mentioned that as I failed to in my posts.

Just so Avid is aware, I had the same problem....the manuals are opposite in their instructions of how to set the clock when using SPDIF.

I wanted to use the clock in the MBox 3 because I understand the A/D conversion is better in that unit, and clocking is a part of that process. But I guess when I'm recording through the MBox 3, I can just swith it back to Internal clock.

I wonder why your units work both ways and mine don't? I'm told that if you don't use an external clock source, that the SPDIF port should shut off as mine does.

Anyway, thanks to all that helped out with advice.
mine work both ways as well. i can clock with either the 003R or 11R. I choose the 11R so I get the SPDIF Sync light on the 003R. Since you are using the 11R as an outboard processor and not an interface you should be able to clock with either.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
mine work both ways as well. i can clock with either the 003R or 11R.
Evidently the 003R SPDIF port might behave differently.
With the pirchase of the new unit, I had some free support incidents so I figured I'd see what Avid had to say. This is their response:

"Hi, The Mbox 3 will not use the S/Pdif input unless it has it's clock set to S/Pdif. Check out page 41 of the Mbox User Guide for the details. The clock in both units is comparable so there is no advantage using the Mbox's clock instead o the Eleven Rack's clock. Best regards, Avid/Digidesign Technical SupportHi, The Mbox 3 will not use the S/Pdif input unless it has it's clock set to S/Pdif. Check out page 41 of the Mbox User Guide for the details. The clock in both units is comparable so there is no advantage using the Mbox's clock instead o the Eleven Rack's clock. Best regards, Avid/Digidesign Technical Support"

If that's true, then I still wonder why the other poster's works both ways. But according to them the clock's are comparable, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
Evidently the 003R SPDIF port might behave differently.
With the pirchase of the new unit, I had some free support incidents so I figured I'd see what Avid had to say. This is their response:

"Hi, The Mbox 3 will not use the S/Pdif input unless it has it's clock set to S/Pdif. Check out page 41 of the Mbox User Guide for the details. The clock in both units is comparable so there is no advantage using the Mbox's clock instead o the Eleven Rack's clock. Best regards, Avid/Digidesign Technical SupportHi, The Mbox 3 will not use the S/Pdif input unless it has it's clock set to S/Pdif. Check out page 41 of the Mbox User Guide for the details. The clock in both units is comparable so there is no advantage using the Mbox's clock instead o the Eleven Rack's clock. Best regards, Avid/Digidesign Technical Support"

If that's true, then I still wonder why the other poster's works both ways. But according to them the clock's are comparable, so I guess it doesn't matter.
I would suspect they are reading a scripted answer as PAGE 41 simply tells you to look at Page 46, which is where it does state that it will not work unless set to SPDIF.... However I have tried it 2 times and have it set this way right now. I have ProTools and the MBOX 3 set to internal and i setup the 11R just like the 11R manual suggests (external SPDIF) and it works fine. So I am not sure why it works but it does....
Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Great thread to clear up the confusion.
Do you still have to set 11R to clock internally with other interfaces, say a Digi002 or even an HD rig?
Since I intend to use my Eleven Rack for recording in studios other than my own, will this force you keep changing the clock source? What technically is happening if you were recording a guitar track with 11R rack as the processor and an HD rig as the interface, and you HAD to clock the 11R internally?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 PM

You'll be able to set the 11R clock to external and clock off the HD rig.