Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Free VST Host/Wrapper - VST Lord

What's the difference between a VST host and wrapper? If I understand it correctly, a host is it's own app, while a wrapper works more like a plugin in a plugin. There are tons of cool free VST plugins that I'd like to try with PT. Will VST Lord get me there? I watched a video that showed VST Lord hosting a VI and being routed thru an aggregate I/O into PT. Could you even use it for multiple instances of VST plugins on different tracks? If yes..

My interface is a UA Apollo. It includes an aggregate I/O, but to use it you have to switch out the Apollo interface for the aggregate. Is it possible to use VST Lord without having to switch out the Apollo from the preferences?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Free VST Host/Wrapper - VST Lord

I'm not familiar with VST Lord, but there are a couple of VST loaders that work quite well. Bluecat Patchwork and DDMF Metaplugin will each let you use VST and VSTi plugins in PT. I've used both, they are quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
What's the difference between a VST host and wrapper? If I understand it correctly, a host is it's own app, while a wrapper works more like a plugin in a plugin. There are tons of cool free VST plugins that I'd like to try with PT. Will VST Lord get me there? I watched a video that showed VST Lord hosting a VI and being routed thru an aggregate I/O into PT. Could you even use it for multiple instances of VST plugins on different tracks? If yes..

My interface is a UA Apollo. It includes an aggregate I/O, but to use it you have to switch out the Apollo interface for the aggregate. Is it possible to use VST Lord without having to switch out the Apollo from the preferences?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I'm not familiar with VST Lord, but there are a couple of VST loaders that work quite well. Bluecat Patchwork and DDMF Metaplugin will each let you use VST and VSTi plugins in PT. I've used both, they are quite good.
Ya, I'm familiar with those two, but I'm looking for a free one.

On a sidenote, I was reading up on the topic and there's one article that talks about how certain VST plugs work better with some wrappers than others. Do you find that to be the case?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:31 PM

I had a few GUI issues with the DDMF wrapper, but I don't recall having any issues at all with Bluecat. I'm not using PT much these days, so the wrappers aren't getting much use.

Quote:
Ya, I'm familiar with those two, but I'm looking for a free one.

On a sidenote, I was reading up on the topic and there's one article that talks about how certain VST plugs work better with some wrappers than others. Do you find that to be the case?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
Your interface has nothing to do with vst hosting prorams/utilities. A wrapper makes changes to code and a host is just that - it hosts something but doesn't change anything. Avid has disallowed wrappers for use with PT for some time now. They even had one pulled from the market - forget which one that was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Nice thing with Patchwork is you can also build plugin chains in it which is something PT users have been asking for for years (and still don't have).

QAPLA!