Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Can't play tracks while recording.

When I try to record a certain track in Pro Tools 11 while playing another, everything playing as well as everything I'm playing gets recorded, including the click track, and I'm not sure why. I'm very new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Example:
I created a click track and two audio tracks. When I started recording for the first audio track, it recorded what I was playing on the guitar as well as the click track itself, so when I played the track to listen to how it sounded, I hear the click track as well as guitar. I've been trying forever to figure out how to stop this from happening
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Can't play tracks while recording.

I'm a bit confused so bear with me a bit. When you playback after your first recording path, you are hearing click AND your guitar(or whatever you recorded)? If you mute the click track, do you STILL hear click?(IOW, is the click recorded onto the track with the guitar)? If yes, how exactly are you recording the guitar? Do you have a mic and you are wearing open-backed headphones(which maybe the bleed is being picked up by the mic)? Closed back headphones or a softer click track could help that.

There is also an option (setup menu>click-countoff) where you can set the click to only work while in record(in case its just the click track itself). More details might help

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM

I have a guitar plugged directly into an Apollo UAD and I'm not using headphones because right now I don't have any. But yes, when I play what I've recorded, it plays the click track as well as the guitar because the click track gets recorded as well. I tried just recording without a click track, but then if I want to record a second guitar I have to play it with no click and no other tracks playing because it will record what I'm playing along with everything else. I want to be able to play along with the first guitar/click track, but only record what I'm playing on the guitar. It makes no sense to me because I'm not using a mic.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM

The click track shouldn't be 'recording' unless it's sent somewhere to record to. Inherently, the click track only plays back so does not automatically record.

So, you should be able to play the click while recording and just hit the mute button on the click track when playing back. Make sure the only track that's record enabled before starting to record (ie the only track with the red button lit up) is your guitar track.

Just to be clear, you have created a separate 'audio' track for your guitar right?

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro

Last edited by zedhed; 08-18-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM

I just had another thought.

You aren't creating a new track for your guitar by 'duplicating' the click track are you?

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro

Last edited by zedhed; 08-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Some more info would help, like we assume this is an electric not a acoustic guitar with pickup, right?

And you have no microphones connected to the Apollo that could accidentally be begin routed to this track?

And your playback engine is set to the Apollo right? Not aggregate IO (which could then might be able to record via you Mac's microphone).

One thing you need to exclude is the the Apollo console and it's routing. Have you looked at what is going on there and understood the signal path?

And you are absolutely sure that the other content and click track is being recorded to the guitar track? You are soloing that track when you play back?

And when you go to lay down another guitar part you are creating a new audio track for that right? And only record arming that new part, and un-arming the previous guitar track.

Debugging should be easy.... create another audio track, assign the same input to it and mute everything but the click track. Does this new track record the click? Do you see that track's meters moving with the click? (turn up the level enough to get them to move). Now you can just keep adjusting stuff watching for the moving meters to go away. If the meters are not moving then you are not recording to that track.

Unplug your monitors/speakers and repeat. If the problem stopped you have a live mic or pickup though an acoustic guitar or somethign similar somewhere. Yes do the test regardless of what you think you have.

Change the track input to something else on the Apollo that is not connected to anything. Do you still get the click track recorded to the guitar track? Either way I would suspect that sends/routing in Pro Tools or the Apollo Console. Attach clear screen shots here of both the Pro Tools Mix window (showing all the sends, insets etc) and of the equivalent on the Apollo Console.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-04-2014 at 04:19 PM.