Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Default PT 8 Disk Allocation and Templates

Hello,

when setting up my system for the first time I created a template I have been using ever since. In this template I set up a specific record to folder in Disk Allocation. In my naivety I didn't realize at the time, this mean that all recorded files were then put in this folder, and when saving a session the audio files would be left in that folder, and not copied to the session folder, as i assumed it would.

Now I have this audio folder which is huge. But I want to set my template to the default of recording the audio to the session folder I create each time, but i can't see to figure out how to get it back to that, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Matthew
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Default Re: PT 8 Disk Allocation and Templates

The first thing you will need to do is get rid of your gigantic audio files folder. I don't mean delete it just separate it into the session folders. The best way to do this would be "Save Session Copy In" this will create a new session folder for each and copy the audio files from that session into the session folders. To do this, open the session go to file menu and select "Save Session Copy In", the only setting you need to make sure and check is the "All Audio Files" check box in the "Items to Copy" section of the dialog box.

Now as far as the Template goes, are you using a Pro Tools template file (.ptt)?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Put the template on drive 1

Record on drive 2 (save sessions in folders)

In the Workspace, make drive 1 a 'T' and drive 2 an 'R'

And check your disk allocation once and a while!

Whenever I'm setting up for the week, the template organization is crucial. Making the drive the original template is on a transfer only drive insures that audio can never be accidentally recorded there. So master template - save as into new folder on drive 2 with 'band name - template' and then make that session a template (get-info - stationary pad OR save session as template in PT8 (.ptt) and then CHECK disk allocation. Once you start a new song, open this template (band-template) and then choose new session, name it (drive 2 in your band-sessions folder), and the check the DA. Yes. Every session. How else are we gonna know if everything is in the right folder, yeah? Making drive 1 'T' is something I do to every other drive on the system other then the one(s) I'm recording to.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM

With plenty of respect intended, Sean's way is WAY too complicated. And prone to errors if you are not careful.

FORGET about using templates. Well, forget about double-clicking on a template file, that is.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST WAY to make sure you NEVER EVER mess up your disk allocation (besides manually checking it) is to never use a template.

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY DEFAULT tracks and routings and busses and all that?

Simple.

1. Make a session that has all of your 'template" tracks, auxes, routings, I/O, markers, whatever... or make a few of these. Save it somewhere.

2. ALWAYS start a session as a "new session". ALWAYS. (never from a template)

3. Then, use "import session data" (option-shift-I) and then select the tracks you want from your so-called "template" session. MAKE CERTAIN the audio media options are set to always COPY from source. It will never change from COPY unless you delete prefs or change it. But always check visually.

4. Unless you want the content from the template, make sure "main playlist option" is set to "do not import".

WHAT THIS DOES --- your new session and associated audio will be recorded to the location of the new session, and you can then pick and choose the tracks you want to use, but the record path will ALWAYS be the new session, not the template.

This is a good workflow that is incredibly simple. And flexible. And powerful if you want to get tricky.

Spend a few minutes with the manual and your sessions and RTFM re: import session data. You will never dink around with the other methods again.