Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Default In MacPro, are drive bays 2-4 as reliable/efficient as bay 1 (for startup drive)?

I hope that's a good way to put it. Basically, the main drive in bay 1 of my MacPro is running Tiger and PT7.4, and I want to keep that drive as is and also put Leopard on one of the other drives in my machine and install PT8 on that one.

My question is, is there any downside, performance-wise, to using a drive in bays 2-3 as a startup drive? If I remember correctly, in the old days (pre-serial ATA) you had to delegate a master and a slave drive, and they recommended only using the master drive for PT and such (though I could be wrong and full of it!).

I just want to doublecheck if there are any rules regarding bays 2-4 being any less efficient, performanse-wise, than bay 1. Of course I realize there CAN be differences in drive performance based on the drive alone.

So yeah, just checking on that.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Re: In MacPro, are drive bays 2-4 as reliable/efficient as bay 1 (for startup drive)?

any one of the 4 bays works the same, you can load the OS on which ever drive bay you want, with no performance difference.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 AM

Default Re: In MacPro, are drive bays 2-4 as reliable/efficient as bay 1 (for startup drive)?

Awesome. Just as I was hoping! And a sigh of relief, no doubt.

Thanks,
E