Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 AM

Default Midi Beat Clock while in loop mode, is completely broken.

I backed off using Pro Tools for a while to pursue other things in music for a while. But regardless of that, here's a major issue I found tonight.

Previously I used to loop 1-8 bars to work on drum sequences with my hardware sequencers (TR-909, TR-808, TR-727, etc...)

When the end of the bar(s) had been reached, they would start back at the beginning. Looping properly for hours at a time if needed. This is how I worked 99% of the time in PTLE. Once my hardware sequencing was right, I'd then record the audio in 1 full pass.

Tonight, I decided to get back into things with Pro Tools, I recently upgraded to 7.4.2 on OSX 10.5.4 on a MacBook 2GHZ 2GB 250GB with the 002 rack.

I setup my gear direct to the 002 midi/audio ports. And selected 4 bars, and at the end of the 4th bar, all the hardware stops. Once the 4 bars come back around for a 3rd pass, they start up again.

PT seems to be sending a stop/continue message which is stopping everything hardware from continuing on with the clock. Once it goes back after the 'blank' pass, it starts back up, and repeats this process over and over.

I've tested this with 8-10 pieces of hardware and all of them have this issue. I've searched the forum quickly and found nothing on the issue.

This is a MAJOR flaw in handling midi messages, and I'm blown away they let this slide into the code without many people freaking out.

As of now, PT is a software paper weight for me. Until this issue is resolved, I'm 100% done with Pro Tools. As you can see by my join date, I've been a dedicated user since the late 90's.

Digi, what's up here?!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Midi Beat Clock while in loop mode, is completely broken.

Anyone?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Have you submitted it to Tech Support? I'd test for you, but I don't have any external MIDI gear. Since you have a reproducible scenario, try submitting it through the TSR form and see if they can duplicate it in house.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician View Post
I recently upgraded to 7.4.2 on OSX 10.5.4 on a MacBook 2GHZ 2GB 250GB with the 002 rack.
If you haven't already, you could try the 7.4.2cs1 update..

There is a MIDI playback timing related fix that is listed for it.

Pro Tools LE 7.4.2cs1 Update (Mac OS X Leopard):
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...id=53002&eid=0
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Night Train View Post
If you haven't already, you could try the 7.4.2cs1 update..

There is a MIDI playback timing related fix that is listed for it.

Pro Tools LE 7.4.2cs1 Update (Mac OS X Leopard):
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...id=53002&eid=0
Thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately I did update to the latest CS to see if it would help out, but no go. I'm going to call DIGI tomorrow and put in a request for a fix. To me, and I'm sure many others, this is a major flaw.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM

technician, is that PTMP 7.4 Audiophile rig running on a PC? If so, are you able to re-produce this issue on that rig?

filosofem
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
technician, is that PTMP 7.4 Audiophile rig running on a PC? If so, are you able to re-produce this issue on that rig?
That's a good idea, but I won't have my iLok with the PTMP license till the beginning of october. I'll try and then, and in the mean time see if I can get a hold of DIGI.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 AM

I'd also try to re-produce this for you but my last module went out the door last month. Maybe there'll be some kind soul out there willing to help.

filosofem
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Avid

We're going to help you with this, but it will take a bit, as I want to make sure we explain clearly what's going on and why. I'm just waiting for a reply from one of our engineers - stay tuned...
Old 09-19-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We're going to help you with this, but it will take a bit, as I want to make sure we explain clearly what's going on and why. I'm just waiting for a reply from one of our engineers - stay tuned...
Excellent, I'm looking forward to your reply. I'm itching to get back to work here.