Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Why are Audio & Midi Records always Latched?

Often I'll record some midi, then record-enable an audio track and record some guitar, only to find that my midi track has been erased. REALLY ANNOYING. Happens to me very often. Anyone else? As far as I can tell there is no way to prevent midi & audio track record buttons from latching. Solo buttons do not behave this way between audio & midi tracks. They behave correctly. Is there a reason why records should always latch? Could this be added as a preference perhaps?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Why are Audio & Midi Records always Latched?

Bump? Latch? Yes? No?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:39 AM

I see what you're saying but what do you do when you're done the first gtr track and you go on to the next? You deselect the first gtr track's record button, right? also, if it were a pref then the next time you went to record a live track with a MIDI track you'd be unable to arm them both without first going and changing the pref.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I see what you're saying but what do you do when you're done the first gtr track and you go on to the next? You deselect the first gtr track's record button, right?
No, I just click record on another audio track, & the first snaps out of record. Great. That way I don't by mistake record over something I just did. Unless I want to record more than one track at once - in which case I can either shift click the records, or select "latch record-enables" as my preference. Same thing for midi tracks. You just click record on another midi track etc. Why is this important to me? Because my sessions generally have 70-80 midi tracks & about 10 audio tracks, so I can't always see at once what is record-enabled and what isn't. I don't want to scroll around like a madman checking for record-enabled tracks each time. Does that make sense?

Quote:
also, if it were a pref then the next time you went to record a live track with a MIDI track you'd be unable to arm them both without first going and changing the pref.
drew
Again, you can always just shift-click if you want to record multiple tracks. My Point is the WITHIN the realm of audio tracks the functionality is correct, and likewise WITHIN the realm of midi tracks, but not between the two. We know that one has not yet been integrated with the other because of situations such as audio failing to move with midi during tempo changes etc etc. These are all apparently minor things but they can really make a composer's life much easier. Please make it a pref!

Thanks,

Joel
Old 06-17-2004, 11:18 AM

gotcha

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:21 AM

Joel,

I don't know if you're an old guy like me, but those of us who grew up with multi-track machines are quite used to making sure we're in record on whatever tracks we're recording. MANY people record on many tracks at once... as a basic workflow question, I think the way it is is the correct way.

It is the engineer's job to make sure you are in record on the tracks you want to record. Duh. And get out of record when you're done. The tape machine can't know when you're done with a track. Shift-select is not an option for many of us, since we'd ALWAYS be shift-selecting (or command or whatever) -- I frequently record more than one track. As do many, many of us.

Did you know that the undo buffer works individually on tracks... if you have a midi track in record by mistake and also an audio track, and record over your midi, you can undo just the midi overwrite. We've all made this mistake at least once, but I don't suggest changing the operation of the software.

jr
Old 06-17-2004, 03:24 PM

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the post. I don't know if I'd consider myself old or not. Perhaps "on the cusp". But I have been using PT for ten years or so, and I'm one of the daring and often ridiculed composers who does all his writing, midi and all entirely in Pro Tools (used to use DP). For the large part it's great & I've just finished the score to a major feature... all in PT... so it is indeed possible. So as a longish time user of PT what I'm talking about is in fact a situation where the "across the board, one interface for audio & midi" approach of PT (which is what I love about it) doesn't hold true. It's a small thing, but relevant nonetheless. I'm not at all suggesting changing the operation of the software - just adding a preference for midi & audio tracks record buttons not to latch relative to EACH OTHER. Obviously I 'undo' when midi gets accidentally recorded over, but then I lose the audio I just recorded. I'm not looking for workarounds, but solutions.

What I am in fact requesting, is that the same rules be applied BETWEEN audio and midi track record buttons as within them. As I said above, solo buttons DO in fact work the way they should. The record-enable buttons should have an option to work the same way. Maybe I've not explained the problem well here, but I've now discussed it with Digi tech support, who appreciate the problem & it'll be a feature request. Anyone more midi-inclined have similar trouble? Vaphoron?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 06-20-2004, 04:07 PM

Hi

I always duplicate my midi tracks in the play list, that way it's easy to retrieve the midi when I make the same mistake.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:34 PM

One track,

I culdn't agree with you more. I can't count the number of times I've erased tracks because of this. It's incredibly stupid and frustrating.

However, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Digi is aware of this problem.
Hopefully we'll see a solution in the next release, though of course there is no guarantee.

I would also STRONGLY prefer that "latch record buttons" was not "on" by default, but some people seem to prefer that (for some reason that completely escapes me,) so it will likely not change.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:19 PM

Hi,

I most of the time use midi merge, so it doesn't matter. I just erase the part that I don't want......

best from germany